Question about retrofit lighting

Gurnie

(edited)

So in woodshop I am building a canopy for a 5.5g AGA. It is really turning out spiffy and I will post photos when finished (it will be made out of cherry, which is a good wood to have need a lot of moisture, just FYI).

I was going to use the compact bulbs but i don't think they'll be strong enough and well... honestly i'm not much of an electrician.

I was thinking of buying one of the following kits:

15 inch 1x32 Watt Current USA PowerCompact Dual SunPaq Retrofit Kit

15 inch 2x32 Watt Current USA PowerCompact Dual SunPaq Retrofit Kit

But i had some questions..

1) What is the perfect size light for a 5.5g "long" aquarium, the 1X 32watt kit or the 2X 32watt kit? Is there a better kit to use besides the link above? how many watts do i need, and i assume the lighting should be 50/50 right?

2) How do these kits usually attach to the fixture? I shop we're using a special kid of wood glue that work well around humidity, and has the strength to contract/compact depending on heat/moisture... But i wasn't sure if these kits are mounted by glue or screws or what.

3) I should use stainless steel screws correct?

4) Does anyone use a glass/plastic/lexan canopy over their tank to prevent water from getting to close to their wiring (via humidity or splash ups)? Do you really have to worry about wiring/water exposure with these retro kits?

For those curious about the design there's about 3 inches of space (height) and the canopy itself is around 17", so the light needs to be under 16". Above the celing of the canopy, there will be another box build into the canopy that can be used for storage (keep the fish food, tweezers,ect there). All together the canopy is about 5 inches tall, and the base is like a step bezel, about 2 inches high total.

it's really turning out cool. my teacher really likes my design and i tell you what, taking this class has made my mondays/wednesdays and occasional saturday mornings more interesting.

Now i know some people aren't too keen on closed top canopies, but this tank will be closed top with a cut area for the filter (and for some gas exchange). I'm not too keen on using MH b/c of heating issues with such a small tank, and i guess it would be best to use some sort of lexan/glass to prevent a salt creep getting to the wires.

Edited by Gurnie

So in woodshop I am building a canopy for a 5.5g AGA. It is really turning out spiffy and I will post photos when finished (it will be made out of cherry, which is a good wood to have need a lot of moisture, just FYI).

I was going to use the compact bulbs but i don't think they'll be strong enough and well... honestly i'm not much of an electrician.

I was thinking of buying one of the following kits:

15 inch 1x32 Watt Current USA PowerCompact Dual SunPaq Retrofit Kit

15 inch 2x32 Watt Current USA PowerCompact Dual SunPaq Retrofit Kit

But i had some questions..

1) What is the perfect size light for a 5.5g "long" aquarium, the 1X 32watt kit or the 2X 32watt kit? Is there a better kit to use besides the link above? how many watts do i need, and i assume the lighting should be 50/50 right?

2) How do these kits usually attach to the fixture? I shop we're using a special kid of wood glue that work well around humidity, and has the strength to contract/compact depending on heat/moisture... But i wasn't sure if these kits are mounted by glue or screws or what.

3) I should use stainless steel screws correct?

4) Does anyone use a glass/plastic/lexan canopy over their tank to prevent water from getting to close to their wiring (via humidity or splash ups)? Do you really have to worry about wiring/water exposure with these retro kits?

For those curious about the design there's about 3 inches of space (height) and the canopy itself is around 17", so the light needs to be under 16". Above the celing of the canopy, there will be another box build into the canopy that can be used for storage (keep the fish food, tweezers,ect there). All together the canopy is about 5 inches tall, and the base is like a step bezel, about 2 inches high total.

it's really turning out cool. my teacher really likes my design and i tell you what, taking this class has made my mondays/wednesdays and occasional saturday mornings more interesting.

Now i know some people aren't too keen on closed top canopies, but this tank will be closed top with a cut area for the filter (and for some gas exchange). I'm not too keen on using MH b/c of heating issues with such a small tank, and i guess it would be best to use some sort of lexan/glass to prevent a salt creep getting to the wires.

If you're going PC, put as many in as will fit. It's pretty rare people are disappointed because there's too much light. Only 3" between the water and the bulbs? I guess that's at most - probably more like 2"? I would almost always say no barrier between the bulbs and the water but if it's that close you may want something. Acrylic is much clearer than glass and you'll lose less light through it, so go with that. Make it as thin as you can - probably 3/16" or 1/4" and make sure you buy high quality, high clarity stuff. You always have to worry about water and such. I'm not sure exaclty how those kits are put together but adding some silicone in the places where salt and water could come in contact with bare wire is a good idea.