New camera, need settings suggestions

SteveM

Ok, I just got my new Nikon D80 and have been playing with all the different settings. I have been trying to get some good tank shot but they aren't turning out quite the way I want. The camera came with 2 lenses, the Nikon 55-200mm VR zoom and the Nikon 18-55mm VR AF-S DX f/3.5-5.6G.

Which is the better lens to use and what setting will work the best? I have been using the 18-55 and even with the iso at 3200 the pics seem a little dark. I also get a lot of noise at that setting even with the noise reduction turned on.

Any help would be appreciated as I learn how to work this thing.

at iso 3200 you'll get a ton of artifacts - turn that down no higher than 800.

if you want to use some sort of automatic mode, use aperture priority. you'll probably need a tripod.

Look for an online photography class so you can learn what all the settings do.

For images that are too dark your shutter speed is too high or your aperture is too high. higher aperture increases depth of field but decreases light hitting the ccd, requiring longer exposure times.

Congrats on camera purchase

Ken Rockwell's D 80 User Guide

-also link to pdf printable version.

I tend to use the P setting and tripod for full tank shots. individual shots of tank I either use tripod or hold camera - then just take lots and hope some come out in focus. Depending on glass of your tank, you can get more of a angled shot with some distortion.

I leave flash off and room dark except for tank.

As for actinic shots or adjusting white balance, you'll need to talk to chris aka 143gadgets on making those adjustments to get good pics.

Thanks for the info guys. I just took these on the A setting ISO 800 and f/5.6. Still working at it but these were okay.

FullTank041408.jpg

FullTank041408_2.jpg

4-14-08L1.jpg

4-14-08L2.jpg

4-14-08R1.jpg

4-14-08R2.jpg