Floor load question...

SnowHeart

After doing a lot of research on this several months ago, I think this is going to be fine but I wanted to see if anyone thought I was crazy... I'm finally getting ready (again) to put a 90g FOWLR in our condo. There will be a 29g sump/fuge in the cabinet stand. The aquarium would go on the main floor, with a basement beneath it. The floor between the two levels is concrete slab, and the aquarium would either be placed above a support column or against a load bearing wall. I suspect that with a concrete slab and the position of the aquarium there will be more than ample support (indeed, the resident of a similar unit did the same thing with a 90g and had no problems), but I want to see if there's anyone who thinks I'm nuts before I do this and risk thousands of dollars in repair work.

From what I understand, you are stating that you are going to put the aqaurium on a concrete slab floor, of a second floor condo. If this is the case, you should have no worries. :)

Edited by Highland Reefer

From what I understand, you are stating that you are going to put the aqaurium on a concrete slab floor, of a second floor condo. If this is the case, you should have no worries. :)

Exactly right. :)

The next question is, what kind of a stand are you going to put your aqaurium on and how sturdy is it. There is a tank build forum here you can use to show us your progress. We would luv to see it. You would be able to get input as you go along in putting your system together.

:cheers:

The next question is, what kind of a stand are you going to put your aqaurium on and how sturdy is it. There is a tank build forum here you can use to show us your progress. We would luv to see it. You would be able to get input as you go along in putting your system together.

:cheers:

Speaking of which, where's yours homie?

You could park a car on that concrete slab. Your aquarium will be fine :cheers:

After doing a lot of research on this several months ago, I think this is going to be fine but I wanted to see if anyone thought I was crazy... I'm finally getting ready (again) to put a 90g FOWLR in our condo. There will be a 29g sump/fuge in the cabinet stand. The aquarium would go on the main floor, with a basement beneath it. The floor between the two levels is concrete slab, and the aquarium would either be placed above a support column or against a load bearing wall. I suspect that with a concrete slab and the position of the aquarium there will be more than ample support (indeed, the resident of a similar unit did the same thing with a 90g and had no problems), but I want to see if there's anyone who thinks I'm nuts before I do this and risk thousands of dollars in repair work.

Pardon the hijacking, but how about on the first floor of a home on the outside wall with plywood subfloors and non-wieght bearing wall and either a 20 gallon or a 55 gallon? Mine 2 are in the basement but sadly :cry: I don't see them as much but if it was brought up... aah look!.... What do you all think?

Those tanks are both small enough that I wouldn't concern myself with their weight. They can go anywhere on the first floor.

I'll definitely post it once I get started and I'm sure I'm going to need advice on plumbing, although I don't want to jinx it by getitng ahead of myself (already had to put it off for several months). Right now I'm leaning towards one of the stands from glasscages.com and then staining it a rosewood or dark cherry (try to get something that looks nice with the rest of our furniture without spending $1000+ just for the stand and canopy). I gather they have terrible customer service but... :why:

HI! Did you sse the post "how YBenormal saved my marriage''? You might want to consider contacting him. It's a wonderfull post to check out. HTH.

Thanks for the response to putting either of the tanks on the first floor. So close and yet so far away!!!

Edited by hbh