salmon on the coast of oregon, disappearing

(edited)

sad to see that happen... it almost seems we are killing this world one species at a time...

We are, just see here - new species, first thing we do is drag it out of the water & kill it.

Check the "seafood" list above. You'll note Blue Crab & wild caught Salmon are on the "okay" list, sadly both appear to be on the brink.

Humans, as a species have become a cancer on the planet...........though unlike cancer we are a curable disease. Wonder what will take over when we vanish?

Edited by ErikS

I just finished reading The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. I found it to be a great thought experiment on what the Earth will be like once humans have gone extinct and real life examples of how the Earth can heal itself without us around - contending of course with the numerous invasive species found world-wide. He also takes a look at what will be our legacy: glass, nuclear waste, and plastic by the billions of pounds, with a substantial amount of plastic debris already swirling in the Pacific Gyre. These will continue to exist until some microbe evolves to be able to process them...

However, it was so very depressing to read the multitude of examples of how we have continually, time and again, destroyed whatever we have come into contact with. There were a few chapters on oceans and reefs specifically, which I was of course drawn to - but he covers nearly all habitats (rainfirest, dry forest, deciduous, grasslands, etc., etc.).

A good read, and I recommend.

Cheers

Mike

The "docu-drama" versions on NatGeo & History were very good - how long it will take for the damage to be reversed. Interesting the timeline of some animals survial/thriving & then fading.

Definitely very cool to watch.