Can a skimmer stop skimming?

alan mcilvried

I recently upgraded to a Aqua C EV120 for my 75 gallon FOWLR (Actually, without the fish part right now - Ich quarantine again) I had been running a CPR wet/dry/skimmer as my skimmer in sump, but the skimmer was too small.

The EV120 was foaming away for about a month, making nice green tea, but now it seems to have stopped. It still foams in the main box, but nothing is rising into the colledtion cup for about a week. If I remove the collection cup, the foam fills the main tube until it almost overflows, but then it stops.

Is it possible that the bioload is just so low that the bubbles don't hold together long enough to rise up the tube?

Currently the tank has about a dozen small hermits, 8-10 large snails, two peppermint shrimp and about 1,525,638 bristle worms.

Alan

I recently upgraded to a Aqua C EV120 for my 75 gallon FOWLR (Actually, without the fish part right now - Ich quarantine again) I had been running a CPR wet/dry/skimmer as my skimmer in sump, but the skimmer was too small.

The EV120 was foaming away for about a month, making nice green tea, but now it seems to have stopped. It still foams in the main box, but nothing is rising into the colledtion cup for about a week. If I remove the collection cup, the foam fills the main tube until it almost overflows, but then it stops.

Is it possible that the bioload is just so low that the bubbles don't hold together long enough to rise up the tube?

Currently the tank has about a dozen small hermits, 8-10 large snails, two peppermint shrimp and about 1,525,638 bristle worms.

Alan

I should think that you wouldn't have much organics to skim. I would still expect a little, over time - but nothing in = nothing out. You could adjust the water flow down... and down... and make it skim wet - just to make sure it's still working. Check your nitrates. If it's very low, I wouldn't worry about it.

bob

Well if you have no fish to worry about hurting maybe a test would be in order. Over feed your crabs for a week and see if the skimmer starts taking out the junk. Just a thought.

Injector is clean as is the air valve. Still no foam.

Think I'll throw in a few hot dogs tonight and see what happens.

Is the air intake valve wide open. It may be clogged.

Tis possible. I have this skimmer (I think), and I often take a syringe of DI water and squirt it in the air intake. I'll repeat this about 2 or 3 times.

Cheers

Mike

The air intake on my euroreef clogs all the time too. I dip my finger in the sump water and wipe it over the intake and it opens right up. This has to be repeated almost daily. I need to get my saltcreep under control somehow.

Where did you buy over a million bristle worms and what kind of armor do you put on your hand and arm to reach into your tank? :lol2:

The air intake on my euroreef clogs all the time too. I dip my finger in the sump water and wipe it over the intake and it opens right up. This has to be repeated almost daily. I need to get my saltcreep under control somehow.

Where did you buy over a million bristle worms and what kind of armor do you put on your hand and arm to reach into your tank? :lol2:

So for a 450g I figure you need about 9,000,000 worms. I'll throw a handfull of pellets into my tank, wait about 30 seconds and scoop out a few net-fulls. I get about 1500 per scoop. If you neglegt your tank JUSSSST right, like me, you should have about 9M in about 6 months. I charge $15 per million, so it'd cost you about 49 cents, plus gas, depending on where you live. Let me know if you find a better deal. I'll negotiate

Al