NYC LFS?

jwildman

Anyone know of any LFS's that are worth seeing in New York City or surrounding areas? Also anyone been to the New York Aquarium in or near Coney Island?

Thanks in advance,

John

Edited by jwildman

I had gone to the NY aquarium in coney Island every year from when I was very young(about 6) till probbably my mid 20s. I have not been to the aquarium in probbably 5-10 years but I always enjoyed going with my father. They have a large Malawi cichlid tank which was the primary thing we went to see at the time. I cant speak for the reef stuff they may have.

On long Island there is an aquarium called Atlantis this is supposed to have one of the largest captive reefs http://www.atlantismarineworld.com/index.html I have heard some great things about the tank but have never been to it. Next time I have a bit of time I plan on going to it with my father and son. It is a bit far out on long Island though.

I know of many LFS in the New york and Jersey metro area. My Dad and I also used to spend a day driving to all of the ones in the area. I will see if I can get the names from him.

If you are staying in the city it probbably isn't worth the hassle to drive out of the city to visit the LFS.

Riverhead is a hike, but Atlantis is worthe the trip imo. the 20k gallon reef is pretty awesome. pushing it on price, but very cool. Joe Yiullio (sp?) donated a ton af frags to the WAMAS raffle last time I was up there. Been trying to get him to come down and talk.