Backup Generators...used or new

NRehman

This is a broad question with answers dependent of many factors, but I am sure that any replies will be very helpful in framing my thinking.... thanks.

So how long do generators last? If I was buying a used one, would a 5 year old, occassionally used (as in power outs) be worth getting? if it has been maintained? If only stored (and not occasionally run)? Or should I just look at buying a new one?

This is a broad question with answers dependent of many factors, but I am sure that any replies will be very helpful in framing my thinking.... thanks.

So how long do generators last? If I was buying a used one, would a 5 year old, occassionally used (as in power outs) be worth getting? if it has been maintained? If only stored (and not occasionally run)? Or should I just look at buying a new one?

it's a lot like buying a car. you're essentially buying a motor and alternator. I'm assuming you're looking at purchasing a small semi-portable model and not a whole-house model? If it's been occassionally used, well maintained I'd go for it if the price is low enough to justify. remember that maintenance includes starting every so often - typically 2 times a year, 4 would be better. AND you must load the generator to fully exercise it as part of maintenance - this can be as easy as plugging your dryer into it and running the dryer for a cycle. if it was stored and never used for 5 years that is fine as long as no gas or oil was ever put in it. this can even be a good deal if it has gas or oil but you'll probably have to rebuild the carbeurator.

Depending on the size you're looking for, the Honda IS series generators are excellent. They are inductive based and automatically throttle themselves to use as little gas as possible and only generate the amount of electricity needed - this allows them to run longer on a tank of gas, and they are incredibly quite as well.

If you're looking for a whole-house backup, go for an upper-end natural gas generator, wired directly to your electric panel with an automatic failover circuit. The nicer ones even automatically start up and transfer the load of the house to the generator every few weeks to exercise the unit and make them as maintenance-free and reliable as possible.

I used to live in a heavy hurricane area so I know a bit about generators :biggrin:

Rebuilding/cleaning carbs. Difficult or easy for someone reasonably handy?

you also might want to get a cordless extension cord or better, a henweigh.

Dude,

Ya smoking again?

Cordless extension cord???

And no way am I going to ask you "what's a henweigh"...(like 3-4 pounds)! :biggrin:

Guest satellite62

normally the gas motors are only rated for about 1500 hrs but if they are OVI (whatever that means) they last longer. Hondas are they best, quiet but expensive. I have a no brand one that is rated for 7500 watts that I got at Costco for $450 in 1999. It still runs well but is loud and the neighbors complain.

If you are just going to use it for tank back up, then a small quiet one would be good. Just total up your watts and amps to find the unit you need. I saw a small "quiet" unit 1000 watts on sale at harbor freight for $269. Keep in mind that the rating is usually for surge and normally it can not put out a`constant 1000 watts.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=93881

Satellite,

Thanks for the information on the life of the motors. It was something I was concerned about, but no longer. Living in the city (DC), and based on prior power outages, I might use it once a year for 48 hours (so far only like 4-6 hours once a year). At that rate, the generator will be a rustbucket by the time I get to 480 hours!

Tank requirement need a heavier duty generator. Thanks for the harbor freight link.

Edited by NRehman

I would get a new one. Costco has brand new ones for about $350 that will keep key components running for days. Just make sure you have 5 gallons of fuels and some oil. You will be safe and able to weather all but the worts electrical problems. Also would suggest you buy some battery operated air pumps with air stones. Good for keeping O2 levels up while running in a degraded mode.

Costco Generator

Be prepared :)

John

Satellite,

Thanks for the information on the life of the motors. It was something I was concerned about, but no longer. Living in the city (DC), and based on prior power outages, I might use it once a year for 48 hours (so far only like 4-6 hours once a year). At that rate, the generator will be a rustbucket by the time I get to 480 hours!

Tank requirement need a heavier duty generator. Thanks for the harbor freight link.

Edited by jwildman