TEK vs Nova Extreme Pro

steveoutlaw

I'm trying to decide on which T5 fixture to go with. I'm going to have an open top tank so I need something with legs. the TEK light doesn't come with any fans but is a pretty solid fixture. The Nova extreme pro has 2 fans (which I've read are good for bulb life and par) but I'm not sure about the quality of the individual reflectors or how sturdy the legs are.

Does anybody have the Nova Extreme Pro that can chime in??

I'm trying to decide on which T5 fixture to go with. I'm going to have an open top tank so I need something with legs. the TEK light doesn't come with any fans but is a pretty solid fixture. The Nova extreme pro has 2 fans (which I've read are good for bulb life and par) but I'm not sure about the quality of the individual reflectors or how sturdy the legs are.

Does anybody have the Nova Extreme Pro that can chime in??

Steve ,

i think the pro model is less than 6 months old to the market.....it is prolly the same as the nova extreme but with individual reflectors....my reg nova extreme works well for me and runs very cool....only raises my tank temp less than 1 degree.

as you know your Tek fixture ran very warm......almost hot.......the key to longevity in ballasts and bulbs is keep em cool.

Bryan

The legs are very very solid on the pro...they run the whole width of the fixture and can adjust in and out on a slider rail. I really like my pro, although I FUBARd some of my corals with the extra light.

It does not really have individual reflectors. It's one big reflector, but it is bent around each lamp.

The fans are MUCH quieter than on the old 4-lamp model, and are on the same power cord as the lamps (saving two electrical outlets)

Tracy

The legs are very very solid on the pro...they run the whole width of the fixture and can adjust in and out on a slider rail. I really like my pro, although I FUBARd some of my corals with the extra light.

It does not really have individual reflectors. It's one big reflector, but it is bent around each lamp.

The fans are MUCH quieter than on the old 4-lamp model, and are on the same power cord as the lamps (saving two electrical outlets)

Tracy

Tracy is right about the one big reflector bent around. It has the same effect as being individual, it just fits together better as a unit the way it is. You should stop by my place on your way home from the meeting to check it out.

Tracy

They must be quiet...i think mine are even quiet....thats a big plus ,having the fan run off the same cord as the light....that i wish mine had....they are right about the legs they dont look sturdy but mine are very sturdy.

Bryan

I would definately change out the stock bulbs with geissman bulbs if I got one, but I'm still concerned with the quality of the reflectors. From the research I've been doing, the TEK, Icecap, and aquatinics reflectors are all outstanding. Does anybody have any insight on that?

Sorry for the highjack, but whats the cheapest place you've found for the pro units?

I got mine from Dr. Fosters and Smith. They were a good price to begin with, but I also use a site called mrrebates.com, and will be getting 10% cash back as well.

Tracy