Kalk Reactor

wreck

I just got a Geosreef Kalk reactor from Reefhunter, sorry Dan but it was too good a deal to pass up. It's pretty large, probably rated for over 200 gallons. I just hooked it up to my 55. Is the reactor too large for my tank? I top off a gallon a day and the reactor holds about 3 gallons by my estimates. Also, should I have the pump mix constantly or put it on a timer to mix a few times a day? Right now I have it mixing with my light cycle and toping off with a constant slow drip.

I just got a Geosreef Kalk reactor from Reefhunter, sorry Dan but it was too good a deal to pass up. It's pretty large, probably rated for over 200 gallons. I just hooked it up to my 55. Is the reactor too large for my tank? I top off a gallon a day and the reactor holds about 3 gallons by my estimates. Also, should I have the pump mix constantly or put it on a timer to mix a few times a day? Right now I have it mixing with my light cycle and toping off with a constant slow drip.

No, can't be too big. It is just a resevoir, that's all. Saturated limewater is saturated limewater, I don't care how big of a container it's in. Set up your pump on a digital timer (or controller) to mix it up for a minute or two a few times daily (I do 1 minute intervals 8 times per day on a digital timer). I feed using an aquamedic dosing pump, kicks on for 1 minute every 12 mintes during the winter, during the summer I have to adjust to about 1 minute every 14 to account for less evaporation.

Good luck.

Garrett.

FYI,

be careful with a kalkwasser, they will raise your PH. you would do well to at least get a PH monitor to prevent an overdose. I use a controller on mine that automatically shuts it off if the PH gets above 8.4

FYI,

be careful with a kalkwasser, they will raise your PH. you would do well to at least get a PH monitor to prevent an overdose. I use a controller on mine that automatically shuts it off if the PH gets above 8.4

if you are just topping off with the effluent this should not raise your ph as drastically but a monitor is not a bad idea I drip mine and my ph gets up to 8.5 during the day and at night settles around 8.3

Edited by lletellier

No, can't be too big. It is just a resevoir, that's all. Saturated limewater is saturated limewater, I don't care how big of a container it's in. Set up your pump on a digital timer (or controller) to mix it up for a minute or two a few times daily (I do 1 minute intervals 8 times per day on a digital timer). I feed using an aquamedic dosing pump, kicks on for 1 minute every 12 mintes during the winter, during the summer I have to adjust to about 1 minute every 14 to account for less evaporation.

Good luck.

Garrett.

That's what I thought, just wanted to get confirmation, thanks. I'll put the mixing pump on a timer.

FYI,

I have a Ph monitor but no controller yet. I've been mixing a gallon of Kalk every day and dripping it in nightly for the past 6 months, it will be nice not to mix up a batch every night. I actually try to get my PH up to 8.5-8.6, as suggested by some notable members here.

Thanks