32 gallon brute water volume ?

Nitro Junkie

I finally got my RO/DI setup and had a question about how to figure the water volume at certain depths in the can short of dumping in 5 gallons at a time and marking the depth. Has anyone else already figure this out and save me some time ?

I finally got my RO/DI setup and had a question about how to figure the water volume at certain depths in the can short of dumping in 5 gallons at a time and marking the depth. Has anyone else already figure this out and save me some time ?

Use this calculator to find out the volume in cubic inches.

It takes only 2 measurements, radius (just measure from side to side and divide by 2) and height. This will give you cubic inches, you take that number and divide it by 231 (1 gl = 231 cu. in.) and you get the gallons.

cylinder.gif

My RODI holding container has a Radius of 9 inches. So every 4.6 inches of height is 5 gallons.

Now that is for a perfect cylinder. If your container is wider at the top then just measure by 5 inch sections, and calculate volume for different radius.

Awesome! I can't wait to get home and measure one of those 5gal HD Homer buckets, to see how much is really in them.

And that ought to tell you something . . . :drink:

Boret,

Are you really asking people to walk the fine line between arithmetic and calculus? Calculus to find the volume of the can is only a short step from what you suggested ... :rollface:

Why do you need to know exact volume? I just have a selected water level, use a solo cup to measure the salt. Trial and error the first time to get the level right, but then you know it's water to the mark and 3 solo cups of salt ....

Edited by Brian Ward

If you look at a homer bucket in the right light, you'll see that the orange stops becoming transparent up near the rim. If I fill it to that point, so I can no longer see through it, and add one solo cup of salt I get 1.025 SG every time. I like to do it one bucket at a time because the act of pouring that much water into the Brute can gives violent agitation just in case any salt hasn't dissolved.