Fish for my 28 gallon

Finding Nemo

I started up a 28 gallon jbj with 150 mh last weekend. Added 25 pounds of pre-cured solomon islands live rock, an inch and a half of aragalive substrate and RO saltwater. So far, all readings are clean and hitchhikers seam to be happy.

If the tank continues to test clean I want to add fish in a week or two. I am thinking of one rbta with a true perc, one blue spotted jawfish, and one helfrichi firefish or possibly a blue assessor instead of the firefish.

My corals are coming from Michigan in a few weeks.

Do you think 3 small fish is overstocked?

What do you think would improve the fish lineup?

Scott

OK, so you are new to the hobby (I assume) and you want to stock a 28 gallon tank (after a couple of weeks) with 2 fish (out of 3) that cost over $100? Oh, and a rbta that costs around $80 or so. HMMMMMM... Maybe you want to go with easier to keep fish and inverts. Spend less, enjoy more. Learn before you inadvertently kill very expensive fish. Fish that are rare in the wild and expensive in captivity. Fish that are somewhat challenging to keep.

A small tank is a challenge. Keep some easy fish (they can be beautiful too). Enjoy success, and maybe a little failure without such high costs. Try regular firefish first. Did you know that they like to be in groups? Get 3 for around $40 and see how it works.

Try a pearly jaw, if you must (and mind you, jaw fish are a challenge anyway.) Make sure yout top is secure. They are jumpers.

Take some time. You are doing the right thing by asking for help. Please go slow and go with easier fish.

OK, so you are new to the hobby (I assume) and you want to stock a 28 gallon tank (after a couple of weeks) with 2 fish (out of 3) that cost over $100? Oh, and a rbta that costs around $80 or so. HMMMMMM... Maybe you want to go with easier to keep fish and inverts. Spend less, enjoy more. Learn before you inadvertently kill very expensive fish. Fish that are rare in the wild and expensive in captivity. Fish that are somewhat challenging to keep.

A small tank is a challenge. Keep some easy fish (they can be beautiful too). Enjoy success, and maybe a little failure without such high costs. Try regular firefish first. Did you know that they like to be in groups? Get 3 for around $40 and see how it works.

Try a pearly jaw, if you must (and mind you, jaw fish are a challenge anyway.) Make sure yout top is secure. They are jumpers.

Take some time. You are doing the right thing by asking for help. Please go slow and go with easier fish.

Not new, just had to break the old tank down to move here. 2 years with a 90 gallon AGA with 35 gallon sump and refugium, asm2 skimmer 2x250 de mh with Phoenix 14k bulbs and supplemental actinics. Since we are renting for a year here in DC, I only wanted to set up a small tank so moving at year end will be easier. Therefore, I bought a 28 gallon JBJ nano cube with MH. I have to have a tank cause I'm a reef addict. I kept e. quadricolors, true percs, and a blue spot successfully in my old tank. Only the firefish would be new. I just think they are beautiful fish.

Not new, just had to break the old tank down to move here. 2

Nemo,

Ah, good, you do have some good experience. You are looking at some challenges, and it is important that you have an understanding of the undertaking. You are looking at some wonderful fish for your tank. I do not think that the tank will be overstocked.

One thought on the helfrichi. They are shy and the perc, while not too aggressive, may be a problem for the helfrichi. I would add the helfrichi first, then add the others. Also, firefish like to be in groups, so you may want to consider getting 2. I think your tank could handle it once it is broken in.