Canopy Building

newfish

Hi,

I am looking at getting a retro fit kit that someone is offering me on RC. If anyone has experience with these lights please let me know what you think, here is the link.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/Metal_Hal...lton_Technology

As far as the canopy goes does anyone have any words of advice on building one or building a fixture for this kit.

If anyone is interested in helping me out please let me know. I live in an apartment so I dont really have a "Shop" so any help is greatly appreciated. I would also consider paying someone if interested.

Thanks for the help.

Josh

Josh,

Go out to BRK and take a look at the Sunlight T5 Retrofit Kits INSTEAD!

I have a similar kit on my 110. It is 48" long with 2 250 MH and 2 actinic VHO's. I just added 2 more VHO's to mine. I built my own hood and it really isn't very difficult. Shoot me a PM if you need more info.

Hi,

I am looking at getting a retro fit kit that someone is offering me on RC. If anyone has experience with these lights please let me know what you think, here is the link.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/Metal_Hal...lton_Technology

As far as the canopy goes does anyone have any words of advice on building one or building a fixture for this kit.

If anyone is interested in helping me out please let me know. I live in an apartment so I dont really have a "Shop" so any help is greatly appreciated. I would also consider paying someone if interested.

Thanks for the help.

Josh

Doesn't look like a bad starter hood. Make sure you're getting ballasts to go with it - the Reef Geek posting doesn't say anything about a ballast (brand, type, etc). Also, you don't want the 5500K bulb - you want at least 10K. You're not going to get optimal reflection and PAR ratings. The lumenarc's are expensive for a reason. However, if you're getting a good deal there's no reason not to go for it. As far as building the canopy - that's a bit difficult in an apt with no real wood shop space. You might consider buying one and mounting the light in it. Overall, it's not terribly difficult but you usually need mitre saw, table saw, drill, etc.