Red algae out of control

Jessica

I finally took a picture! I'm guessing it's more purple than red. Underneath the layer is a lot of detritus. Thank you for the link, I will check our their skimmers. No, I don't have a refugium. Any suggestions for a fuge that can fit a skimmer? I'm not a DIYer.

Hopefully, the picture got attached.

Check out Grey Seas Aquatic Equipment, the guy who makes these excellent skimmers & reactors is a WAMAS Member!! A one stop shop...

I can't seem to find his website.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a 5 gallon water change, it didn't take quite as long for the red layer to develop on my sandbed. Layer is only on one side of the tank, eventhough I added another MJ1200 MOD after my water change. I cleaned about 1/2" of the top layer of the sand, tried to get all of the red out. My sandbed is only 2". I have a total of 3 MJ MODS on a wavemaker. I will do another water change tomorrow and change the direction of the powerheads to get to the deadspot.

I didn't check my levels before or after the water change. These values are 1 week after water change.

PH 8.4

KH 125.3 ppm KH

Alkalinity: Too low. Lowest value read on Red Seas color chart.

Last time I did a testing was 1/17/08 after a water change and the only thing different was ph at 8.2

In my opinion your readings do not add up correctly. Your alkalinity is on the low end and your ph is on the high end of ok water parameters? If your alkalinity reading is correct than your ph is most likely at around 7.6 to 7.8 which is low for what you need.

What kind of test kits are you using for KH and PH and how old are they. Also you should take new readings now if you have not done so.

Red sea for ph and alkalinity

Rest of the test kit is from aquarium pharmaceuticals

There are two types of test kits for alkalinity:

1) The kit will say for GH

2) The other will say for KH

both must be for salt water.

You want to make sure you are using the KH test kit for carbonates.

I would recommend that you get an AP KH test kit for salt water which is pretty cheap. Salifert Test Kits are better, but are more expensive. The advantage to the AP KH kit is that it works with adding drops. There is an easy to see color change when you reach the final reading. This will give you a pretty accurate KH reading.

I have had problems reading the PH color charts. After I bought a ph meter, I noticed my readings were way off with the test kit.

I am not sure what buffer you use to raise your KH (alkalinity), but something like PH8.3 would be safe so you don't add to much.

Once you get your KH kit, then I would recommend that you follow the directions for the buffer (PH8.3) and raise the KH to about 11 dkh. This should give you a high PH of around 8.2 - 8.3 which is what you need to help get rid of the algae.