Blue Hippo Tang has a gash on his side

Guest Evelyn

Guest Evelyn

He's about 3 inches long and the gash is about 1/2 an inch.

He seems to act normal...eating normally.

His tank mates are a sailfin tang, bristletooth tang, 2 mated pair maroon clowns, midas blenny, lawnmower blenny, rainfordi goby, and an RBTA.

Could it be the sailfin tang?

They play a lot with each other...maybe she accidently got him?

What could've happened?

Mine has bumped rocks. Or had pecking order tete-a-tetes with our sailfin and naso. If it's not too deep, it will probably heal just fine. Any solution will probably stress it out more. IMHO, just observe it and it should be fine.

Edit: If I could only type!

Edited by NRehman

Hard to tell without seeing pictures, but my guess would be the sailfin got a tail swag with the bone they have (very sharp) in their tail... Doubt it's scratching on the rocks (unless that fish is doing that a lot).

Dave

I should add, good water quality is the best thing for him/her.

Dave

Good water quality is important. Hyposalinity is recommend for healing wounds. An open wound makes it very difficult for the fish to maintain osmotic balance, so placing the fish in water that is approximately the same salinity as his body allows him to dedicate more energy to healing himself instead of expending it all on osmosis. Here is plenty of excellent information:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/6/fish#h3

Good point Brian, with one consideration. If the fish is "wounded", will it get more stress out by potentially being chased by a net or will it recover. Depends on the wound size/severity and health of the fish and tank. How bad is the cut or is it already a non-issue?

Guest Evelyn

Thanks for the suggestions...

We're watching him closely...I can't get a picture of him bc he's just too fast.

So far, the gash doesn't seem to bother him...