12 Gallon Aquapod Stocking Ideas

stevil

Now that I have a stand (thanks chefthomasr!) for my 12 gallon aquapod, I'm planning to set it up in our son's room (he's 13 weeks old now). I'd really like to get one or 2 large fish (well, large for a nano) some corals (softies probably), and possibly a shrimp or starfish. Any ideas on fish/corals? I'd really like something like a gold-striped maroon clown, but really doubt that it would be comfortable in such a small tank (I've read between 10 and 30 gallons minimum). Bright colors and slow movers would be ideal.

What would you stock it with?

Being that it's a kids room, you almost HAVE to do the "Nemo" approach...

I'd get a couple of occies or percs (maroons would look way oversized in such a small aquarium once nearly full grown) and a single huge elephant ear mushroom for them to (hopefully) host in. Any lighting would be good and it'd be low maintenance.

Other stuff - maybe a couple of anemone shrimp and a brittle star.

Meh go for that particaular tang you've always wanted.

Congrats on the kid, go with colorful, pseudo chromis, clown gobies, prawn gobies, pistole shrimp, simple and bright corals, shrooms, palys etc.

When I did my nephew's tank for him (years ago), we did a Nemo tank. Nemo is an ocellaris, and "Dory" was a yellow tailed blue damsel.

I thought elephant ear mushrooms had a tendency to kill clownfish who tried to host in them. Can't remember where I read that one, so don't take it as fact, but you may want to research a bit.

Tracy

You're much more ambitious than I, my friend! I put a 10G guppy and crayfish tank in my son's room, with a 6 gallon hermit crab tank underneath it. The crayfish we caught together in a creek at a nearby park, and the guppies were the offspring of a male-female pair I put in the backyard pond last spring.

Kids are fascinated by crustaceans of all sorts, so a few friendly crabs (hermits, sally lightfoot, mithrax) and a shrimp or two would probably be a big hit.

How about a pair of 13 week old Tomato Clowns to grow with your son? I have some as a congratulations gift if you want them.

Wreck