GREEN CARPET ANEMONE

reefhunter

Oh nevermind... made it to the end of the reef central post... definately not doing this.

Thanks!

Just a couple thoughts on the RC thread:

IMO/E both anemones were lost due to owner "negligence" (not really the correct word, but as close as I can think of at the moment). I'm not saying that he didn't know what he was doing, couldn't take care of a fish tank, didn't understand the risk, or didn't care about his anemone. But there were some things he could/should have done differently:

1. more waterchanges - anemones dying, giving off slime, and he only does a few waterchanges a year? Even weeks after that carpet was cut up, it's still sliming up where it's been cut. If you don't remove that slime constantly from the system, you're bound to have problems.

2. less moving the nems. The single worst thing you can do to a coral or anemone is to continually stress it out when it's trying to heal, especially when dealing with such large areas that need to heal on such a sensitive specimen. Mine go straight from the saltwater bath to their respective tupperware containers, and aren't touched until they're feeding on their own. Added to that:

3. not torturing it with clownfish hosting in it while trying to heal. (This goes to traveller's point of dedicated system...)

4. more feeding. I feed my newly cut anemones EVERY DAY as soon as they show interest in foods. Light is only important until the mouth heals. After that, stuff the things with food. There is absolutely no quicker way to heal an anemone (especially carpet nems - bleached doesn't matter as long as you're feeding it enough food).

5. dedicated system, or at least a system where nothing is competing against it (fish or shrimp that may bother it, other anemones producing toxins, etc.) and in which it can't kill everything else in the tank (I think this is realistically less of an issue with a proper saltwater bath of several hours with several water changes before replacing in the tank).

That said - I have no doubts this can be done successfully (and fairly easily) for an experienced "anemone splitter". But definitely shouldn't be the first thing you attempt.

Respectfully, S. tapetum and E. quadricolor are not in the same class of difficulty as S. gigantea, S. haddoni, S. mertensi. The large hosting carpets(including H. magnfica) are not as hardy before, during, or post operatively; certainly not easy.

Ironically, maxi keepers owe Phil a debt, but that is a story for some tapetum thread, not a haddoni thread ;>)