stocking list

zotzer

Hi all,

Being so new to this, I could use your help. I think I've come up with a stocking list for my future reef tank (just talking the fishy part here). What order should I plan on adding them? There's no rush here...I have a very small quarantine tank, so this will all happen over the course of several months. Oh...the tank will be a 46G with large HOB refugium.

So, here's the list....in what order do I add them to their new home?

Basslet (pacific swales?)

Flasher Wrasse (McCoskers?)

Pair of Clowns (some variant of perc or ocellaris)

Orange-spot blenny

snail-only CUC

Other "possibles" would be:

Helfrichi firefish, or

Falco Hawkfish

This is all a work in progress, so I am open to all suggestions on placement order and/or species.

Thanks for your help!!

Tracy

Hi all,

Being so new to this, I could use your help. I think I've come up with a stocking list for my future reef tank (just talking the fishy part here). What order should I plan on adding them? There's no rush here...I have a very small quarantine tank, so this will all happen over the course of several months. Oh...the tank will be a 46G with large HOB refugium.

So, here's the list....in what order do I add them to their new home?

Basslet (pacific swales?)

Flasher Wrasse (McCoskers?)

Pair of Clowns (some variant of perc or ocellaris)

Orange-spot blenny

snail-only CUC

Other "possibles" would be:

Helfrichi firefish, or

Falco Hawkfish

This is all a work in progress, so I am open to all suggestions on placement order and/or species.

Thanks for your help!!

Tracy

Start with the CUC. They don't really interact with the fish. Any reason for snail-only? I've found that crabs - either hermit or emerald are much better at picking the algae off of rocks.

I'd probably do the blenny next

then the pair of clowns - careful with selection here, if you don't purchase a mated pair be sure one is a fair amount bigger than the other - the bigger will become the dominant female, the smaller the male, and add these together.

basslet next - he's probably less aggressive than the wrasse

wrasse last

That's my guess, but IMO it's usually a crap-shoot.

~Brian

Thanks for chiming in, Brian! I thought no one had any ideas for me. :(

I got the idea for a snail-only CUC from this article: http://www.reefland.com/rho/0305/medprod3.php

The plan is to pick some up today for introduction to the tank when I get home.

Johnny from BRK mentioned that he has some splendid pseudochromis. I am wondering about adding one of those guys in place of either the wrasse or basslet. The decision is tough, but I need to make up my mind at some point, as I'd like to start getting these guys through quarantine.

Any suggestions on what to feed the blenny during quarantine, since he won't have any algae to pick on? I plan to get an orange-spot lawnmower blenny. Can't wait!!!

Thanks for your help!!!

Tracy

Thanks for chiming in, Brian! I thought no one had any ideas for me. :(

I got the idea for a snail-only CUC from this article: http://www.reefland.com/rho/0305/medprod3.php

The plan is to pick some up today for introduction to the tank when I get home.

Johnny from BRK mentioned that he has some splendid pseudochromis. I am wondering about adding one of those guys in place of either the wrasse or basslet. The decision is tough, but I need to make up my mind at some point, as I'd like to start getting these guys through quarantine.

Any suggestions on what to feed the blenny during quarantine, since he won't have any algae to pick on? I plan to get an orange-spot lawnmower blenny. Can't wait!!!

Thanks for your help!!!

Tracy

I had a purple dottyback that I had to get rid of because it was too aggressive for my 29 - it picked on everything except the clownfish. Kept my diamond goby pinned under a rock, and my yellow watchman was the only one that would stand up for itself - but I'm pretty sure the dottyback is what caused it to jump. I'm attributing at least 3 deaths in my tank to the dottyback - they aren't usually that aggressive, and you may have better luck with the bigger tank, but they have an extremely bold temperment and I had to tear the whole tank apart to get him out. Just a warning. You have to watch fish when you newly introduce them and be prepared to remove them if they aren't getting along after a couple days.

For the blenny - you can go with Nori on a clip (buy it from Whole Foods, not the fish store) or you can go with various types of seaweed - again, on a veggie clip.

~Brian

Well....Kismet stepped in, and it looks like the pair of clownfish will be the first additions. Might have some pics of them in the QT as early as tonight. :)

I was hmming and hawwwing between Onyx True Percs and Picasso Percs, and these popped up right in my own backyard. I love it when decisions get made FOR me. LOL

Tracy

When I got the orchid dottyback, I researched around on it and they are apparently the exception to the dottyback aggression rule. They are still bold and will be territorial of the space they make home, but other than that can even be kept with gobies when the other dottys can't (so I've read, anyway). It clearly isn't aggressive like a damsel because the damsel tore off most of it's tail in a couple hours, but it isn't afraid to steal big chunks of food right from the big clown's mouth. Very entertaining fish... spends lot of time in the rockwork, but is always interesting when swimming about the tank.

In your QT tank, you'll want to provide those clowns with hiding spots - I've seen PVC fittings used effectively for this - a collection of elbows, tees, and unions 1 1/2" to 2".

In your QT tank, you'll want to provide those clowns with hiding spots - I've seen PVC fittings used effectively for this -

Yep, have all that stuff ready to go. Will post pics tonight! I'm psyched!!!

T

Very entertaining fish... spends lot of time in the rockwork, but is always interesting when swimming about the tank.

I'm going to try to get to BRK this weekend and see what the Spledids are like.

Of course, now it will be several weeks until I can get any more fish, and they will probably be long gone by then. :(

Wonder what Johnny would charge for room and board to keep the fish at BRK until I am ready? LOL

T

if you pay for them they may still keep them for you for a couple weeks