3/4 to 5/8 barb adapters

Guest beatle

Guest beatle

So the adapters on my UV sheared completely off and are now useless. Rather than picking up 3/4" tubing, I figured it'd be easier to find adapters. My plumbing knowledge is a little rusty (heheh) and Savko didn't seem to have what I needed. Are there such monsters at Lowes? What's best for waterproofing the seal? Hose clamps ok?

Guest beatle

Maybe we're not on the same page. Some of those look like they might work, but I'm not sure. The UV has barbs with threads below for screwing on a connector to seal the hose to the barb. The adapter screws onto the big threads and has a smaller 5/8" barb. It also has threads made for a smaller connector/seal that screws on. I didn't see any fittings on page 67 that would help me. What part number did you think I needed?

Guest beatle

I'm a little tired and not up to taking good pictures. First pic shows the adapter screwed onto the UV itself. 2nd pic shows the adapter held up to where it joins the hose. Plastic has broken off and gone missing which is why it looks like it doesn't belong. It used to be one piece.

I guess I could make something like this with a few inches of 3/4" tubing and a couple of male to male 3/4" to 5/8" barb adapters if they exist, though that doesn't sound as safe as something threaded... even though that's what failed.

uv-broken1.jpg

uv-broken2.jpg

Edited by beatle

Sounds like you simply need to switch over to 3/4" tubing... or, you could also try electrical conduit and cpvc fittings. They generally run smaller and you might find what you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest beatle

I've been looking for the adapters recently but have been coming up short. I don't see any barb adapters of any type. If I were to convert to 3/4 tubing, I'd still need an adapter to fit my 5/8" powerhead...

Guest beatle

I guess they've been all out where I've been. Do they look like two barbs with different diameters on each end or is there something else? The adapters I've seen have been barb to male thread.

I've been looking for the adapters recently but have been coming up short. I don't see any barb adapters of any type. If I were to convert to 3/4 tubing, I'd still need an adapter to fit my 5/8" powerhead...

Another option is to to use PVC in between the tubing, and basically make your own adapter. For example, if you have 3/4" barb to 1/2" mpt adapter ---> 1/2" fpt pvc adapter ---> short section of 1/2" pvc ---> 1/2" fpt pvc adapter ---> 1/2" mpt to 5/8" barb

All together that makes a 3/4 barb to 5/8 barb adapter. It will be about 6" long and look pretty shabby, but it would accomplish the task.

Or, if you can find a 1/2" mpt to 3/4" barb adapter and use a MJ 1200 to feed your UV, you can slide the fitting OVER the outlet of the pump (it just happens to fit perfectly) and you will be in business.

Guest beatle

I do have a MJ1200 sitting around that I use to mix water. I'll see if I can find the 1/2" mpt to 3/4" barb tomorrow.