AC Powerhead quick filter

bigJPDC

Hello - I am coming to realize that what I thought was microbubbles at first is really organic matter in my water collumn, enough of it to be annoying. I can't work a filter sock into my plumbing, so I was wondering about this product: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...p;N=2004+113040

It looks like you screw it onto an AC powerhead placed in the tank and it cleans the water. I'd be willing to give this a crack for a few days a month, maybe only when I see a bunch of particulate matter.

Does anybody have experience with this, or any other ideas they've used for getting dust-sized junk out of the water?

thanks!,

jp

They get clogged up pretty quick and if you use them too long they'll add nitrates to your tank. It's not the greatest option. I might consider a canister filter with a mircon cartridge instead, like a Magnum 350 or if you want one inline you can buy one for a pool at a pool store. They're kinda big though. Or you can buy a Rainbow Lifeguard mechanical filtration unit and stick it inline.

All of the options will add nitrates to your tank if you allow the filter to become biological, as in leave it in the tank longer than 2 weeks.

Hello - I am coming to realize that what I thought was microbubbles at first is really organic matter in my water collumn, enough of it to be annoying. I can't work a filter sock into my plumbing, so I was wondering about this product: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...p;N=2004+113040

It looks like you screw it onto an AC powerhead placed in the tank and it cleans the water. I'd be willing to give this a crack for a few days a month, maybe only when I see a bunch of particulate matter.

Does anybody have experience with this, or any other ideas they've used for getting dust-sized junk out of the water?

thanks!,

jp

They work well for that. They are big and clunky, but I have used them when I have wanted to get rid of debris in the water.

They do work fine for what you're after but don't leave in long term for all reasons mentioned above.

Get a replacement filter pack while you're at it.

Excellent advice - thank you!

No, I wouldn't leave any kind of particle trapper, even my carbon reactor in for more than a week. I think the fact that I am not using any mechanical filtration is why I have junk floating around, but it's an easy tradeoff for zero nitrates. I'll probably use the sponge once of twice and then toss.

jp