Taking Corals on a plane

Connor

i have a question about taking corals on a plane because in about a month i will be flying down to my aunts house and i know their is a great aquarium store right near their house so my question is will i be allowed to bring corals back home on the plane. Im a little nervous about putting them below the plane with all the other luggage because i know they might get ruffed up a bit so id prefer to take them a keep them with me the whole time in my carry on bag. I also know about the airlines new no liquids policy but was wondering if anyone else had tried it .

Thanks

Connor

They will not let you take them on board (the water restriction is the issue).

That said when Doug, Crag & I went to MACNA last year we brought back a number of corals and they were on the plane underneath and made it ok.

Dave

Pack them well in a box. Put the box in a suitcase, padding around the box with clothes. Works just fine.

fab

Same as they would be shipped.

Bagged (double)... bag is a styrafrom container.... container in a box... check box :)

Dave

Oh yeah! after packing box in suitcase... check the suitcase. Don't try carrying it onboard. If you can check a box as baggage, then pack it like dhoch says and check the box.

fab

all right, im just a little nervous about the corals i may get getting ruffed up while being taken on and off the plane

Shouldn't get roughed up any worse than when they are shipped from the west coast to the east coast. Just pack them as for shipping, then check them as baggage. Post a lot of "FRAGILE" signs all over them and some "THIS SIDE UP" and hope the baggage handlers can read and are not malicious. If they are well packed you should not have a problem of any real consequence; unless you are trying to ship very large, fragile colonies. Even then, you just need to pack very well to minimize shock damage. Besides, even if you get some tip or branch breakage on a large piece, all you have done is to have fragged it.

fab