Bulkhead in Brute can?

bigJPDC

Howdy - building out my saltwater mixing station, and would like to elevate my brute cans that hold RO\DI and mixed sw. I was hoping to be able to put 1/2" bulkheads near the bottom of the brutes, and then just use a ball valve to drain into buckets.

Will the Brute cans hold integrity with a bulkhead installed? I am guessing that a hole saw bit will go right through that plastic, but the curved shape makes me nervous.

thanks!

jp

I don't think I would do it. You would probably be able to flatten the curve with the bulkhead, but I would think that the stress points would fail at some point in time as you fill and drain. It's kind of like bending a piece of plastic. It will crease as it bends and become weaker each time you bend it until it snaps. Just an opinion, though. Have you considered a uni-seal bulkhead? With that you could put in the uni-seal and then use a pvc male and female threaded piece to ensure a really tight and water proof fit.

I have that exact setup with my 44 Gallon Brute, though I have a 1" bulkhead. Been in operation for a 1.5 years with no leaks.

(edited)

Well I'll be darned. I hadn't heard of uniseals until now - do they sell them at HD and Lowes?

It sure looks like the plastic will be fine without tearing, considering I won't be putting much stress on it.

thank you!

jp

silly question wildman - I know the gasket goes on the inside, but do you have the nut on the inside or outside?

Edited by bigJPDC

The gasket never ever goes on the nut side.

It always goes on the bulkhead side regardless of how you install it.

The gasket never ever goes on the nut side.

It always goes on the bulkhead side regardless of how you install it.

There is not an exception to this rule and no gray area either.

that only leaves me with one option and it makes perfect sense. You would always want the least amount of hardware in the tank, right? So the screw and nut part is on the outside.

thanks again,

jp

I'm in the planning stages for a saltwater mixing station and I'm planning on using a 44 gallon rubbermaid or some such trash can and I'm going to put a pump in it with a "Y" connector. The one end of the Y will just recirculate within the can and I'm going to hook the other end to a hose with a plastic nossle that I can drag to the aquarium to fill it back up after water changes.

Anyone see an issue with this? The only thing I wonder about is the water left sitting in the house, it's not circulating with the water in the can unless I can make it a loop system...

hmmmmmmmm

Well I'll be darned. I hadn't heard of uniseals until now - do they sell them at HD and Lowes?

It sure looks like the plastic will be fine without tearing, considering I won't be putting much stress on it.

thank you!

jp

silly question wildman - I know the gasket goes on the inside, but do you have the nut on the inside or outside?

JP just so you have this link... http://www.savko.com/ this place sells it all and I haven't had one complaint about them... I was told about them in RC a year ago and since have ordered several times...