my fuge

treesprite

So here is what I

Sounds awesome.

The only thing I would suggest is to make sure you understand exactly what you hope to achieve with your fuge. I say this because you mentioned you might like to add a couple of small fish. Just be aware that if you do this you will be defeating one of the purposes often cited for refugia - producing food (worms and pods and their offspring, in various stages) to feed the display. If you add predators it will not, strictly speaking, be a "refuge" anymore. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea, though. It could still be useful for nutrient export via macro-algae growth and/or dsb. More than anything it sounds like it would make a very cool display. Kind of a planted saltwater tank.

Read "Myth #13" here for a better explanation of what I am talking about: http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/eb/index.php

(edited)

That's why I said "very small". I'm talking maybe 2 that stay small.

Edited by treesprite

(edited)

It might help to say that the only fish I have are 2 clowns and a damsel. The female clown and the damsel did a tag-team killing spree on the other damsels several years ago, which is the only reason there is nothing else. All I'm doing is putting the fish that should have been in there, in a different part of a much larger volumn of water than they would have had before.

Anyway, I have been held up. I was spray painting the panel outside, like one of several already done coats, and as soon as I went in, it started to rain and messed it all up. Have to go get some more paint. I was planning to be finished this weekend, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Edited by treesprite

• 3 weeks later...

So, now that my finger is healed.....

I am almost ready to put the thing back on the stand and fill it. I messed up the overflow box I was trying to make and may end up having to buy one, but we'll see.

I can't wait to get this huge mass of chaeto out of the display!

has water in it now, sand, some rock, some macros.

I don't have anything connected yet, but hopefully I'll get it done over the weekend.

Tomorrow I'm going to put that green menace in there until it can get to Dave.