Need Help Moving Tank in the DC area?

Guest Bill

Guest Bill

My son (Reefcentral ID's Signal7 and dooleyb) will be moving his 125g tank in the DC area on Thursday, June 14 and could use some help to load and unload the tank onto a truck. It should only take a few minutes on each end of the move.

We are moving it from Garbo street (which is on the south end, east of I95 area to Bellforest Court which is in the Gallows/I66 intersect area just off the I495 beltway on the west end......a distance of about 5 or 6 miles.

The tank weighs approx 280lbs and is a little too much for two people. We will probably have the tank ready to move sometime between 10am and noonish. I know it is a weekday but if you are available or know someone who may be, the help will be greatly appreciated. We could call you when we have the tank empty so that you don't have to be waiting.

IF you could assist, please pm me (dooleyb) or Signal7 on Reefcentral.com.

Thanks very much,

Bill

If I wasn't so stupid when it comes to finding my way around DC... I don't know if I'm going to be in or around the area then, but I'll let you know if I will. Good luck!

Guest Bill

If I wasn't so stupid when it comes to finding my way around DC... I don't know if I'm going to be in or around the area then, but I'll let you know if I will. Good luck!

Thanks Jason. We could really use the help.

Have a nice day.

-Bill

push comes to shove go down to the nearest 7ellevn or homedepot and get a couple of workers for cheap per the hour. I would help you but I have work from 6:30 AM to 5PM.

Good Luck!

Bill,

Am I reading you right that you interested in moving a FULL TANK across town? If that is the case, please don't!!

I've helped move a over a dozen tanks from 300g down and the best way to do it is, get 4+ volunteers to help, plenty of loading pass (pickup, vans, etc).

-FIRST, move all NON-Life Support Equipment to new spot before help arrives, so all your moving is living stuff

-Drain Clean water from tank into 5g buckets

-put coral covered LR and corals in large 14-20gal. tupperware type tubs with lids, cover with SW from tank

-put LR w/o in separate tub and cover

-put fish in one 5g bucket and then add a small battery operated aerator during move and will sand dust/destris is settling once new setup is going on

-put sand in 5g bucket to get tank as light as possible

-Load up Train, Planes and Automobiles and head to new location! (1 1/2-2hrs have passed so far)

At new location, setup tank, pumps, skimmer ASAP

-Get LSand in tank.

-Put in LR, then LR with Corals and begin adding water, doing your best not to disturb the sand and keep cloudiness down. --Landscaping not important now.

-Once water is about 2/3 way full, have someone setup PH to get water moving like a MJ1200. You want water moving for aeration but not enough that kicks up the sand

-When full, get RETURN Pump running with skimmer going full bore

NO FISH YET!! As long as fish are doing ok in bucket, leave them in their a while longer, might need a small heater, but probably not for summer.

-When you can see front to back, add your fish in.

-Leave lighting out until next day, don't bother feeding the fish that day

I won't be able to help you that day, but will probably be moving myself on the 17th in Falls Church.

Guest Bill
(edited)

Bill,

Am I reading you right that you interested in moving a FULL TANK across town? If that is the case, please don't!!

I've helped move a over a dozen tanks from 300g down and the best way to do it is, get 4+ volunteers to help, plenty of loading pass (pickup, vans, etc).

-FIRST, move all NON-Life Support Equipment to new spot before help arrives, so all your moving is living stuff

-Drain Clean water from tank into 5g buckets

-put coral covered LR and corals in large 14-20gal. tupperware type tubs with lids, cover with SW from tank

-put LR w/o in separate tub and cover

-put fish in one 5g bucket and then add a small battery operated aerator during move and will sand dust/destris is settling once new setup is going on

-put sand in 5g bucket to get tank as light as possible

-Load up Train, Planes and Automobiles and head to new location! (1 1/2-2hrs have passed so far)

At new location, setup tank, pumps, skimmer ASAP

-Get LSand in tank.

-Put in LR, then LR with Corals and begin adding water, doing your best not to disturb the sand and keep cloudiness down. --Landscaping not important now.

-Once water is about 2/3 way full, have someone setup PH to get water moving like a MJ1200. You want water moving for aeration but not enough that kicks up the sand

-When full, get RETURN Pump running with skimmer going full bore

NO FISH YET!! As long as fish are doing ok in bucket, leave them in their a while longer, might need a small heater, but probably not for summer.

-When you can see front to back, add your fish in.

-Leave lighting out until next day, don't bother feeding the fish that day

I won't be able to help you that day, but will probably be moving myself on the 17th in Falls Church.

Thanks for the information. We won't be moving the tank with anything in it.. As you say, we will be removing everything from the tank and preserving as much of the water as possible to be used at the new location with about 30 - 40% new water. once everything is out, the tank will be moved empty. The empty tank weighs about 275 pounds. A little much for the two of us that will be moving everything. Now I am thinking of constructing a crate for the tank and using a hand truck to move it. I think if I construct the crate strong enough, we can tilt the tank on its end and load it onto a hand truck (like the one used to move heavy appliances) and roll it out to the moving van. It will cost about $25 in materials to construct the crate. Well worth it considering the risk of two people carrying it. Although, two of us did move the tank it about six months ago. We didn't realize then how much it weighs and we had some close calls....almost dropped it a couple of times ascending stairs. Hoping to make it easier this time. I'll do a post next week to let you know how it went.

Thanks again for your feedback and best of luck on your move.

-Bill

Edited by Bill

(edited)

I bought a skimmer from Signal7 on reef central. Really nice guy. If I wasn't at work that day I'd come out and help.

As for the hand truck, just be careful that you're putting all of the weight of the tank against that metal lip on the hand truck, so you could shatter the glass easily. If you have a hand truck that folds flat that might work better. I really think the only way to safely move it is by hand.

Good luck!

Edited by rooroo

Guest Bill

I bought a skimmer from Signal7 on reef central. Really nice guy. If I wasn't at work that day I'd come out and help.

As for the hand truck, just be careful that you're putting all of the weight of the tank against that metal lip on the hand truck, so you could shatter the glass easily. If you have a hand truck that folds flat that might work better. I really think the only way to safely move it is by hand.

Good luck!

Thanks Rooroo. Talked to Erik (Signal7) last evening and he has one additional person that will be helping so we are trashing the crate idea. I agree with you, moving by hand is the only really safe way. So if we can get one more taker we will be set.....anyone?

BTW. Thanks for the nice comments on my son (Signal7). I think he is swell also but most parents do.

-Bill