ick question and coral question

Mystical Lady

It looks like I have an outbreak of Ick... my pipefish looks like he has tiny white spots on him.... he was OK this morning when I left for work *sigh*... I have never had Ick before since I am pretty new here still.... so I need some help in the Ick department....

also I have several corals in my tank, will this Ick or treatment hurt? ... 2 corals in particular... I have a Watermelon Alien Eye and 1 coral that was a hitchhiker and I have *never* seen in anyone's tank(trying to get a pic of it for ID) these 2 I am very protective of :bluefish: I don't want to lose either.....

tell me what should I do for my fish without hurting my corals....

"Freshwater will rupture the cells of the parasites instantly killing them in great numbers independently of the status of the reproductive cycle. (i.e. ick medications are only effective on the free-floating tomites)."

is this true IYE....... should I do a Freshwater dip BEFORE setting the fish in a hospital tank??

if the fish is not overly stressed out and you believe it can tolerate a FW dip of a minute-3 you can, however it does take time for teh parasites to react to the FW, and the fish may need to be pulled before the FW dip can make any real difference in the numbers.

the gist. it cant hurt if the fish can tolerate it, if its a sensitive fish, dont run the extra risk of dipping it because the stress could fuel a larger outbreak.