Overflow for my 72 Gallon

mosheikh

Hi, Im trying to get an overflow so I can get a insump skimmer for my 72g..I cannot get the tank drilled so that is not a option...Would there be any problems with the overflow in the future? How many gph overflow should i get..also which overflow would you reccomend that prevents snails comming in it and getting stuck? When/IF I order it, Can anybody help me plumb the tank?

BTW: Which pump would you reccomend?

Thanks

-Mohsin

Guest bill33
if the power goes out the overflow will continue and flood the sump. and when the power comes on the pump will flood the main tank, cause the siphon broke.

if the power goes out the overflow will continue and flood the sump. and when the power comes on the pump will flood the main tank, cause the siphon broke.

Huh?  Not if you set it up correctly.  If you put a little hole in the return vent when the power goes off it will suck in air and then the siphon will stop.  Just drill your tank, it will save you lots of headachs in the long run.  You need a sump, is that possible?

my .02

Guest bill33

when the power comes on again the pump will make the tank rise and possibly flood the floor.

it is a lot easier just to get the tank drilled

Although I agree that a drilled tank is preferable, there are plenty of people who've run hang-on overflows for years without problems - it can be done.  By reputation, the more reliable ones seem to be the u-tube type.  A quality unit like a Lifereef or something similar is a good choice (www.lifereef.com).  Be sure to clean the u-tube(s) frequently as any algae build-up can cause problems.

As for tank or sump flooding concerns, a correctly designed system should not allow for either whether it's a drilled tank or using a hang-on overflow.  Drilling an anti-syphon hole as Robert mentioned, or simply not having your return line submerged very far will minimize the amount of water than can be back-syphoned into the sump in a power-off situation.  If you run the waterline low enough in your sump to accomodate whatever does syphon down when power is off, you won't flood the sump.  

To minimize the chance of flooding the main tank it's the same principle in reverse.  Figure the volume from where your water line normally runs (determined by the height of your overflow box) to the top of the tank.  This gives you the volume that the the main tank could accomodate before overtopping in the event that the overflow box loses syphon or the drain line plugs.  

Now, place a divider in your sump (from an inch or two under the regular waterline to the bottom of the sump) to create a chamber (that will normally be submerged) at the return pump side.  If the drain line plugs or the overflow syphon fails, the return pump can only draw your sump level down to the height of that last divider - then it will just empty that last chamber out before it runs dry.  If you place the divider so as to only allow the return pump access to a water volume that is less than the reserve volume you have in the main tank - no flood.

The only other concern in the event of a drain blockage or failed overflow syphon is your return pump running dry.  This would happen whether your tank is setup as above or not.  The above setup just eliminates the flooding issue.  If you want to protect your return pump, you can put it on a float switch that will shut it off if the sump waterline drops too far, preventing it from running dry.

Let me know if that's not clear - I can probably post a sketch if needed.

HTH

I could buy all the equipment..But I would need help on how to plumb..If i get an OK from my parents on buying an overflow, return pumps, etc..Then can someone help me plumb the tank?.Im only 14 so I have no clue on doing this stuff...

Thanks

i am assuming you say drilling is not an option becaue the tank is full but it really wouldnt be thaty hard to drain it part of the way and then use the dremel to drill the holes in the back near the top and save your self lots of hassle and worries

there is a risk of any box full of water having leaks but as long as its drilled right with a nice fitting bulkhead and some silicone for added pretection you will be in good shape and no need for the overflow box

My parents are probably not going to accept the idea of a sump...But does anybody know a hang on skimmer that would work better then a seaclone that i can use for a 72g?