Pepprmint shrimp / Majanos / Joes Juice

alan mcilvried

I thinking of getting a peppermint shrimp to see if it wants to eat my pet majano's. Will PS eat them and will it bother my mushrooms?

If my new shrimp doesn't eat fast enough and I decide to squirt a little joes juice, will it hurt the shrimp?

Thanks

Alan

No response to my post, so here's what I did if case any new aquarium keepers ever have a problem with Majano Anemone.

Joe's Juice make them evaporate almost instantly. They literally disappear in about 3 seconds. I do mean this literally. They're just gone. I understand the effect is the same with aptasia - but I didn't have those, so I can't give first hand experience. Do a google search for Joes Juice and you can order it on-line or get a listing of local dealers.

Two peppermint shrimp in the tank don't seem to mind so far. I only have a few damsels in there now (new tank) so I'm not sure if other more sensitive fish care, but the damsels don't seem to mind at all.

I'll let you know if anything "adverse" seems to occur.

Alan

No response to my post, so here's what I did if case any new aquarium keepers ever have a problem with Majano Anemone.

Joe's Juice make them evaporate almost instantly. They literally disappear in about 3 seconds. I do mean this literally. They're just gone. I understand the effect is the same with aptasia - but I didn't have those, so I can't give first hand experience. Do a google search for Joes Juice and you can order it on-line or get a listing of local dealers.

Two peppermint shrimp in the tank don't seem to mind so far. I only have a few damsels in there now (new tank) so I'm not sure if other more sensitive fish care, but the damsels don't seem to mind at all.

I'll let you know if anything "adverse" seems to occur.

Alan

Joe's Juice does the same to Aiptasia - I've brought a few in on frags, and Zzzzzzap!! I do have some injured zoa's - but not sure if that's from the aiptasia or the Joe's Juice - the anemone's were growing out of the middle of a pile of zoa's.

bob

PS seem to be hit or miss with most people, and that has been my experience as well. Some eat 'em. Some don't. One thing that seems to be consistent is that they will only eat the small ones. Once they get a certain size, chemical warfare of one sort of another seems to be the only way.

I have never heard of any adverse effects on livestock from joes juice, vinegar, lemon juice or kalk, but I'm sure in large amounts relative to the system volume any of these would be bad.

Keeping nutrients in check is the best way to prevent the spread and/or reemergence.

hey Alan,

From my understanding their are two types of pepermint shrimp. They are from different locations. One will eat aptasia the other does not. I forget which is which, and anyone can feel free to chime in if they are aware of the same thing. I also do not think they will eat majano. I just put on my kevlar, take aim with my m17, syringe and go to war. It can be bloody and some of your fellow WAMAS members have to be taken to the hospital on occasion for battling these creatures AKA outlaw, but in the end you should be able to defeat the enemy. Good luck

As per Frank Burr at our CMAS meeting this past weekend --

You want to get the ATLANTIC variety of peppermint shrimp. Also, they may only eat small aips, not very large ones.

-Jess

Concur atlantic pepermints and small anemones, I have never know them to eat Majano. Get the majono with any of the remedies, joes juice kalk ect. but stay on top of them- They will move just like an anemone to a new location the next day and start to multiply from there - kalking them into a spot seems to work a bit better. Once Majano get going they are hard to eradicate completely even from a small system like a nano cube.

Edited by Lee Stearns

hey Alan,

From my understanding their are two types of pepermint shrimp. They are from different locations. One will eat aptasia the other does not. I forget which is which, and anyone can feel free to chime in if they are aware of the same thing. I also do not think they will eat majano. I just put on my kevlar, take aim with my m17, syringe and go to war. It can be bloody and some of your fellow WAMAS members have to be taken to the hospital on occasion for battling these creatures AKA outlaw, but in the end you should be able to defeat the enemy. Good luck

LOL. I'm not sure that Kevlar, with or without Sappi plates, would have oferred Outlaw much protection. Better go to MOPP level 3 at least.

Will Joe's Juice kill mushrooms? I have mushrooms on some brain coral and I would like to kill them dead!

What type of collateral damage has anyone seen with JJ? I have had this brain for 8 years, and I would like to keep it nice and healthy.

Will Joe's Juice kill mushrooms? I have mushrooms on some brain coral and I would like to kill them dead!

What type of collateral damage has anyone seen with JJ? I have had this brain for 8 years, and I would like to keep it nice and healthy.

I reckon if you squirted enough on one, it might kill a mushroom. But you only need a teensy drop, fired right into the mouth of the anemone. Practice! I didn't, and shot way too much out the first time - which caused some zoa's to be unhappy for a few days. The damage to the other zoa's from the aiptasia is much worse than anything Joe's Juice did.

bob

Almost have the little buggers under control with Joe's Juice. Finding about 1 a day now. (Inital infestation - about 100 - quickly went to 4-5 a day, now down to 1. Yesterday was allllmost a "0", until just before I turned off the light.

A word of warning about Joe's Juice though, it is not harmless to everything else in your tank. I had a little bit drift over a small starfish crawling on the rock nearby and WHAM - it was dead. Felt really bad.