Help with 14g Bio modification

Nat'nCritters

I have started 2 14g Oceanic BioCubes. Everywhere I read it seems people take out the bioballs, increase flow, and make other mods like to the lights, adding skimmers,etc.. Unfortunately, though, the forums all talk in heaps of acronyms, many of which I don't understand (yet)! So, could anyone please advise me, simply, what I need to do to modify my wee tanks so they will be ready to support all kinds of corals,anemones, etc., in a few months? BTW, they are both 2 months old, and doing pretty well. Thanks ever so much!

Nat :wig:

Nat,

The key is keeping the nitrates down which is why (other than the lighting) most of those mods are being done.

Bio balls are very good at removing amonia, and nitrite, but not nitrate so people remove the bio-balls and typically replace with live rock (LR).

In order to get the LR to work more efficently more flow is typically employed (hence the increase in flow).

As for a skimmer this is always a good way to remove unprocessed nutrients from your system and I would also recommend.

Does that hlep?

Dave

So taking the bio balls out is pretty straight forward. But, what kind of pump would be better and suitable for the 14g Biocube, and do I need to add additional filtration of some sort? Also, should I change the lighting somehow too? Thanks for your feedback Dave.

Nat :bb:

Nat,

If the bio-balls are allready in there I would NOT remove them all at once, but slowly over a period of time (take a few out each day)... Reason is there is beneficial bacteria on them and you need that bacteria removal to be compensated elsewhere in your system.

Typically live rock is used as a substitute

In terms of flow increasing... I'm not sure I would see what others have done, but a small powerhead might be your best choice.

For lighting that totally depends on what you have now, and what you want to keep in terms of creatures that need light.

Dave

The setup came with one 24watt True Actinic 03 Blue light, one 24 watt 10,000K Daylight, adn 2 moon lights. I'd like the lighting to be good enough for an anemone. Keep in mind the dims are only 15"l x 15.5"w x 17"h, so the lights seem pretty good actually. But I have no comparison of course.

As for the flow, many replace the stock pump with a Maxi-Jet 900. What is this, and is it a good idea?

thanks to all for your suggestions. Sorry if I sound pretty ignorant here...a real newbie, but loving it!

Cheers.

Nat

• 2 weeks later...

Nat,

A MJ900 is a Maxi-Jet 900 It is one of the most common and easy to find PH (Power head.) Most LFS (local fish stores) have them as do the online stores.

DSB Deep Sand bed

CC Crushed Coral

What other acronyms do you need help with?