OZONE

Armson

I have in the process of setting up my 75 gallon system. I am going to use an aquamedic Turbofl Multi with this system and I have been debating about running ozone as well. All the information I have read has the positives way out weighing the negatives. I am trying to take the Feed heavy Skim heavy Approach.(ref. Traveller7 & Va_reefman) From what I have read O3 is like your skimmer on crack. So your water becomes squeaky clean.  Anybody here have any experiance with it?

Byron

I have been running ozone into my skimmer (aquaC EV90) now for 7 months.  I picked up a unit cheap on e-bay that is an older model red sea but was unused, so I figured I would test it.  I do not have a controller for it, so I run it way under potential for the size of tank.  Not sure of a true direct positive effect, as my tank was having so many problems.  It has been real stable lately though.  One comment as to the pros- the skimmate stinks far worse than I have ever smelled (when I dump a 4-5 cups down the drain, the whole room stinks)- and I'm running it wet and collecting more than I used to...purely anecdotal I know, but for me it was worth it as it didn't cost much.  One thing I have noticed, which again I'm not sure if it is directly related, is that the corals seem to be much more sensative to high light.  It could be the bulbs, or less organics in the water, or a combo of both.  

If I had to spend a lot of $$ on an ozonizer, I'd put it into a better skimmer first and hunt for something on e-bay.  IMO one of the tricks to making the feed heavy skim heavy approach sucessful is to ramp the whole biosystem up slowly with the food, so the consumer populations increase proportionately.  I treat the skimmer as an aid to the natural filtration, not as my primary source of filtration.