Used vho bulbs

packman9111

Haven't bult my hood yet, but have an op to buy used bulbs, so have a couple questions. plan to use 440w vho. i have ic ballast and endcaps.

is $10 for vho bulbs used 3 months a good deal?

how much clearance is required on ends for bulbs? ie 46.5 bulb typically used for 48" hood?

thanks - Rick

that should be fine.  The hood is actually a bit bigger than the tank (sits on top of rim).  I would put it all together then mount it in your hood.  that way you won't miss on the mounts being off.

That is a good price for the bulb.  They run about $30 I'm guessing for that size. and you should get 7 months or more from the bulb.  If it is just actinic for the color, then many people burn them until they die.  I'm picking up 2 for that price of 24" bulbs.

If there's much black on the end(s) of the bulbs, it's been a long three months.

If you're just starting out they're fine, if you've been doing it awhile and have aquired nice pieces, .........Buy New, you'll know where you stand!

Good light makes a tank an aquarium!

Just my 2 cents, but I my VHOs max out @ 8 months.  I think that 7 months is the about the right time to switch. This is true of the 50/50 URIs I use with an ice cap 330, at least.  I get mine for $23.95 or so @ hellolights.com (with $7.95 for shipping), so about $26.60 each with shipping.  So, I spend $3.80 per bulb per month. So for 4 more months of life, the bulbs are worth $15.20.

So, for $10, you will get 4 more months, not so bad.