Basic Ballast Question

djcerna

Can you install lower wattage bulbs on a higher wattage rated metal halide ballast?

Are these mogul based fixtures the same as household sockets? Installing a 40 watt blub on a 60 max rated socket for example.

Thanks for your input.

David

Edited by djcerna

I highly doubt it would work at all. I've experimented with various HID light such as mercury vapor, high pressure sodium, low pressure sodium, etc- all of them won't run at different rating from the ballast. I don't think it would be safe if it even works because there's always a risk of damaging the bulb, the HID class lights are prone to shattering.

Can you install lower wattage bulbs on a higher wattage rated metal halide ballast?

Are these mogul based fixtures the same as household sockets? Installing a 40 watt blub on a 60 max rated socket for example.

Thanks for your input.

David

Depending on the type of bulb and ballast, you are looking at the extremes: such as fire, bulb exploding, etc.

There is some flexibility between starting circuits, but even the ballasts that are supposed to run 150/175 have been problematic. It is recommended to stick with matching bulb + ballast types on almost all occassions.

Post the ballast type, folks may even have bulbs lying around :)