Hair algae on my gorgonian...

lanman

I lied - thought all of my hair algae was gone. It is - EXCEPT on my yellow gorgonian. I'm about to take it out, put it in a bowl of water and clean it up - but the question is:

How rough can I be with the gorgonian? I know sandpaper is out of the question, and wire brushes... but can I rub it pretty good with my fingers without hurting it? Run a cloth or sponge over it?

Thanks,

bob

I had hair algae on my yellow gorgonian and I think with better health, gorgonian would grow them off. My gorgonian was in distressed state for a bit when placed in temporary tank and when placed in new 125g, it did so well and the algae was gone.

I had hair algae on my yellow gorgonian and I think with better health, gorgonian would grow them off. My gorgonian was in distressed state for a bit when placed in temporary tank and when placed in new 125g, it did so well and the algae was gone.

I've read that you should remove any algae from them... but not exactly HOW. The gorgonian was free with an order from GARF. It has a lot of polyps showing, and seems healthy - just has hair algae on it. :)

bob

Use brand new toothbrush, soft one and gently brush them over. Another idea, you could lay it over on side and let reef janitors clean them off.

If still unsure, e-mail GARF and ask them about gorgonian care.

Use brand new toothbrush, soft one and gently brush them over. Another idea, you could lay it over on side and let reef janitors clean them off.

If still unsure, e-mail GARF and ask them about gorgonian care.

Okay - laying it down was one of my first thoughts - especially when I saw a hermit trying to climb it. Laying it down NOW.

Thanks,

bob

They are actually rather hardy corals. It was one of my first corals, and due to my inexperience, I was very rough with them. They will handle a good scrubbing from a toothbrush just fine. If you are getting algae growing on them, then they likely need a little more flow. also, if you manage to break one of the arms off, just attach it to a rock somewhere to start another colony. They don't grow very fast, but they are pretty tough.

John

:bluefish:

They are actually rather hardy corals. It was one of my first corals, and due to my inexperience, I was very rough with them. They will handle a good scrubbing from a toothbrush just fine. If you are getting algae growing on them, then they likely need a little more flow. also, if you manage to break one of the arms off, just attach it to a rock somewhere to start another colony. They don't grow very fast, but they are pretty tough.

John

:bluefish:

Laying it down where the critters could get to it worked just great! This evening, I stood it back up, and it's got its little white polyps out waving in the breeze! :) I knew it was going to work out when my queen conch came 'running' up as soon as I lay it down. She had one part of it cleaned before I even went to bed.

bob