Best place for LR?

Guest JasonD

Guest JasonD

Trying to start my 1st SW tank...where do you recommend buying LR in the DC area? Or is it better to buy it online -- if so, where?

I plan on cycling the tank with the LR, so it it best to buy it uncured?

Thanks!

Some members sell LR which may already be cured, therefore eliminating the step of cleaning and cycling the rock. They usually sell for less than what LFS sell it and you get a great deal out of it. Check for posts from other members.

On the other hand, there are several LFS in he area that sell LR, just need to research and find which one has it fo less $$$.

Good Luck

If you need live sand for your new tank, you may want to contact Jason, he has some sand for sale already cured and filled with beneficial bacteria.

Jacob

(edited)

Trying to start my 1st SW tank...where do you recommend buying LR in the DC area? Or is it better to buy it online -- if so, where?

I plan on cycling the tank with the LR, so it it best to buy it uncured?

Thanks!

Where you buy it is personal preference, you might save a few bucks online but check the shipping cost. I have ordered it online and bought it from local vendors, you might want to PM one of the WAMAS sponsor LFS's and see what they have.

There are different type of LR available with different sizes, different density, different structure (branch, plate, etc) different cost, just depends on what you are trying to achieve. You can get standard Fiji as the least expensive or you can get branch, flat pieces, etc, etc but at a higher cost.

Cycling fully uncured LR can be a pain, especially for a new hobbiest. If you get it dropped shipped direct from the source as uncured there will be a lot of die off and a significant cycling process. If you buy cured LR from a LFS or have pre cured LR shipped to you overnight you will likely not experience any spikes in Amm or Nit.

It really just depends on what type of rock you want (shapes, etc) how much you want to mess with curing it and how much you want to spend. I get a lot from local places and mail order that will hand pick. It costs a little more but I would rather get the shapes I want as opposed to a box of softball sized LR.

For mail order LR I like Dr Mac because hes pretty close so the rock is not shipping too far. From Annapolis it wouldnt be a bad drive for you to pick it up. I would also recommend BRK or F&F but they arent really in your area. Maybe Exotic Aquatics but I have never looked at the LR prices there.

Edited by SDBDRZ

Guest FZ1Rider

I say this every time someone asks this question of RC. Criagslist has worked great for me. Mostly I've met people who are posting on here to. Looks like it's pretty dry but keep your eye out there and make offers to the people selling full tanks, maybe they'll sell the LR seperately.

Good luck!

Peter

Had I not found great deals through tank brakedowns on craigslist I would have purchased from Dr. Mac. They were extremely helpful and even offered to hand-select some for me and take pictures prior to me driving out there. My craigslist purchases got me hooked up with WAMAS and if you are patient you can find great deals here and there.

However, I'd also check out BRK - John has got a great selection of a variety of different types of rock. Depending on your budget you could probably have some shipped from Dr Mac, find enough through here and craigslist and then supplement with hand-picked pieces from BRK.