Wrasse help?

Guest rennfamily

Guest rennfamily

Our tank has a lot of bristleworms. I know their not bad for the tank unless they become abundant. I'd like to try and keep them in check and I had heard that wrasse fish will eat them. Does anyone know if it is a speficic kind of wrasse? I obviously don't want to add something to my tank that's not going to help.

Thanks

Holly.

Guest D33rex
I know arrow crabs are supposed to eat bristleworms, but they are also supposed to be aggressive towards anything smaller than them...fish,crabs,shrimp etc

Holly,

Take a look at the Yellow Canary Wrasse.

I've had 2 of them, currently, my one is about 4" long.

Beautiful color, never had a problem with messing with shrimp, fish or corals.

Not sure if they eat bristleworms though, but never seen on in my tanks either. Cool fish!

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11....5dff803

Howard

My 6 line is big and fat and constantly searches the rocks during the day. However I know he will not tackle large bristle worms as I have seen several and he just swims by them- he may be eating the smaller ones though I have not witnessed it. I do know he relishes what ever pods he comes across.

Any one know of a simple trap or way to catch the larger bistle worms? I have often thought that it would be good to remove the big ones- maybe chop them a bit and see if anything would eat a chopped up one- maybe diped in a drop or two of selcon for enticement. :D

Does anyone know if sixlines are compatible with mandarins?  I thought I remember hearing reports of someone's sixline harrassing and killing their mandarin...

Guest Tmtplyb
I don't know about others tank, but I alway has the sixlines with my mandrin for the last 3 years, there aren't any problem b/w them, mandarin has a slimmer stuff to protect it. I don't think any fish want to mess with him.

Anyone have any experience with their six-line (or other wrasse) messing with their shrimp? I'm talking about peppermint, cleaner, etc., not the mantis or pistol variety.

Yes If the peppermint shrimp are very small when you put them in the wrasse sees food- I made that mistake - but I have never had mine mess with my larger cleaner shrimp.

I think you should be looking at Dottybacks.  My Bicolor-Dottyback is only fish I have seen eat bristleworms.  But, I never have seen it take on large bristleworms.  Be careful though the solution may be worse than the problem.

I've also seen my 6-line wrasse try to snack on cleaner shrimps regardless of size.  I always thought the wrasse are more inclined to take care of flatworm and the snails that like snacking on clams.