How Do I Get Rid of the Bryopsis????

Guest Bemmer

I put a full sheet of Nori in every other day and even with that they are constantly picking at the rocks and the corraline on the back of the tank.

A full sheet every other day? Really? Maybe I've been underfeeding my tangs then... I would take maybe an 1/8 of a sheet and put it in either every day or every other day. And even with that, the first thing the Sohal likes to do is bite right where the nori meets the clip, pulls it off, chases it around nibbling at it until it gets to one of my seio 2600's...... then I get itty bitty nori pieces everywhere in the tank. I can only imagine the disaster it would be if I used a full sheet!

Rebecca, as far as my issue with the hair algae - I did dose sugar and I also hooked up my Ozone unit (200 mg) directly into my skimmer. I can't say for certain which is what helped (or if it was a combination of both), but after a few weeks all the hair algae was gone. Oh, I also bought 5 turbo snails, and they have helped keep the algae down by constant grazing.

I had hair algae twice...one in each tank. I got rid of it both times very fast. Here is what happened in both scenarios.

First Tank: I was a newbie and didn't know much. I had algae issues and after tweaking and changing stuff around, I got it to go away. First, I didn't have a good skimmer, the water changes weren't enough, and the flow was too low. Also my cleaner crew was insufficient. I updated my skimmer, stepped up my water changes, and added a Tunze. The biggest difference was the cleaner crew. I had a couple emerald crabs, blue and red scarlet crabs, turbo snails, margarita snails, cerith, and nass snails. The stuff disappeared pretty quickly. All of it disappeared except for a little that grew on one of my snail shells :)

Second Tank: I was in 3 weeks in to a cycle and then my holding tank crashed (stupid cat). Anyway, I had to add my live stock all at once in to my main tank because I was going to loose it all. Anyway, I had diatom bloom. Mind you my cleaner crew is almost obsolete because of the tank crash. Then somehow my PH got out of whack (must have dosed 1 part twice by accident). Then I started to see a lot of bubble algae, hair algae, and cyno. It was getting out of control. I was doing 1/4 to 1/3 water change the first week. That helped a bit. Then the second week I added a UV Sterilizer and did another 1/4 to 1/3 change. That pretty much killed all the algae & cyno in the tank. I then scrubbed the rocks. The next day everything was gone and white.

I'm still waiting on a cleaner crew. With a tank as large as your tank, I don't know how much scrubbing the rocks will help. I wasn't going to do that, but I had to get a sick fish out. So I had to take all of the rock out anyway. I thought I would scrub it to remove some of the dead algae. After I did it, it didn't look like I did much. The rock still looked green, but the next day, all of the rock was white (or coraline).

Guest Bemmer

Thanks for everyone's input. I have completely redone my aquascaping (or am in the process of doing so). I removed most of the pieces of LR that have the bryopsis on them and scrubbed them down. I have not tried the Kalk paste yet but may be something I try on a couple of pieces. I am also setting up my 57w UV sterilizer to kill off any of the spores that might be released when I have to pull the rest of the stuff on the LR I can't remove from the tank.

I also added five large zebra mexican turbo snails to all the other snails I have in the tank. They are really big so I will have to be sure my coral is well secured.

Hopefully, I will have most of this knocked down by the TT :lol2:

R-

Something that helped me get HA under control was raising the pH. I had someone tell me thay HA likes low pH. My tank had pH on the lower side (around 8.0) so I worked on raising it and tried to keep it higher (8.2-8.4) for a couple of weeks. I paired this with manual removal, WCs, and a phosphate sponge. The HA melted away after the 1st week. I'm not sure if this works as well for bryopsis or if your tank already has higher pH but its worth considering.