Identify please?

Mystical Lady

from another SW forum I am on.... this person has a 'new' tank and found this creature in the LR. There are 2 of them now.... noone I know can Identify it.... the usual names have been brought up, Peanut worm, Bobbit worm, bristle worm... but none are exactly what this 'thing' looks like...... a post was also put on Marine Forum but noone there could identify it either...... I am posting comments by the person that 'owns' this thing......

http://www.thewebcastle.com/scaryTeeth.jpg

Thing1 and Thing2 are center picture close to top of pic

"My tank is still new, so we're just finding things. there is some tube like thing in my rock and all you can see is it's teeth opening and closing and sometimes it retracts into it's hole then reappears. This thing lives in the same hole and doesn't move other than to go in or out. And now it kind of looks like it's doubled. (two different mouths?). It just looks like this tube with teeth, that comes in and out of the rock. I've seen no legs or antannae. It just looks like a tube that can go in and out and it has triangular shaped "teeth" all around it's mouth, it also has another "head" right next to it that is smaller, but goes in and out with the other one. It is always in the same hole and has not moved. It can only seem to go in and out about 1/2 an inch. My son has named it "larry."

any ideas???

Jan

Edited by Mystical Lady

Looks like the siphon of a boring clam to me.

from another SW forum I am on.... this person has a 'new' tank and found this creature in the LR. There are 2 of them now.... noone I know can Identify it.... the usual names have been brought up, Peanut worm, Bobbit worm, bristle worm... but none are exactly what this 'thing' looks like...... a post was also put on Marine Forum but noone there could identify it either...... I am posting comments by the person that 'owns' this thing......

http://www.thewebcastle.com/scaryTeeth.jpg

Thing1 and Thing2 are center picture close to top of pic

"My tank is still new, so we're just finding things. there is some tube like thing in my rock and all you can see is it's teeth opening and closing and sometimes it retracts into it's hole then reappears. This thing lives in the same hole and doesn't move other than to go in or out. And now it kind of looks like it's doubled. (two different mouths?). It just looks like this tube with teeth, that comes in and out of the rock. I've seen no legs or antannae. It just looks like a tube that can go in and out and it has triangular shaped "teeth" all around it's mouth, it also has another "head" right next to it that is smaller, but goes in and out with the other one. It is always in the same hole and has not moved. It can only seem to go in and out about 1/2 an inch. My son has named it "larry."

any ideas???

Jan