Adding LR to an existing tank

pretej

I have just acquired about 20 lbs of live rock from a co-worker who took down his tank today. He had the rock in his 20gal tank for about 1.5 years. I am going to bring it home afetr sitting at work all day today and am not sure if it will be OK to add it directly to my tank. I currently have a 20gal tank with about 10lbs of live rock 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 lawnmower Blenny, 1 Figi Damsal and a pencil urchant along with a hairy mushroom.

Any Suggestions would be appreciated.

I have been reading several threads talking about cycle's and Amonia spikes. Because this is established LR Do I need to be concerned??

Thanks

John

Is it submerged in water? If it's been submerged all day it should be fine. If not, I wouldn't risk it. There'll definitely be die off. Stick it in a bucket with a powerhead and heater for a couple of weeks just to be sure there'll be no spikes.

Ive got it under water in buckets but the water feels a little cold. I put some High intensity lamps pointed at the buckets to help warm up the water a little bit.

If it's submerged, you'll be fine. Even if the temp drops to 65 deg. for a few hours, the bacterial die off will be minimal. Mostly, bacteria goes dormant at high and low temps, and doesn't "die" until extremes kick in.

Just make sure it's submerged, and as always, check your water parameters afterwards!

It wouldn't hurt to play it safe, IMO. Even if the bacteria don't die off, you could have a sponge die or even some of the boring animals (meaning they are inside the rock and you can't see them, not that they aren't much fun at parties). In a 20 Gallon tank it wouldn't take much to mess things up, I would think. Might as well stick it in a 5 Gal bucket w/ some old tank water and a powerhead for a few days. If it doesn't smell like death/sickness then, I would go ahead and add it.

Guest tgallo

It wouldn't hurt to play it safe, IMO. Even if the bacteria don't die off, you could have a sponge die or even some of the boring animals (meaning they are inside the rock and you can't see them, not that they aren't much fun at parties). In a 20 Gallon tank it wouldn't take much to mess things up, I would think. Might as well stick it in a 5 Gal bucket w/ some old tank water and a powerhead for a few days. If it doesn't smell like death/sickness then, I would go ahead and add it.

I agree. Do the smell test.