Bubbles, tiny bubbles...

lanman

I put the live rock in my new 45-gallon tank the other day. It looks really good; water parameters are all within range; one of the rocks has bunches of little white feather dusters. Not those REAL tiny ones - these are about 1/2" in diameter.

Anyhow - all looks good, but I notice I have lots and lots of little bubbles. This is my first overflow/sump system (the 24 aquapod has everything built in). Are the bubbles normal? Good? Bad? If bad - suggestions on how to get rid of them?

Thanks,

bob

Do you have a sump? Does your tank have an overflow that goes to it? You might be getting bubbles from that. You could put some live rock rubble in your sump which would help catch the bubbles before they are returned to your main display tank.

Or are there just bubbles in your tank (on the glass and such)? If so, I'd suspect they'd dissapate soon.

Do you have a sump? Does your tank have an overflow that goes to it? You might be getting bubbles from that. You could put some live rock rubble in your sump which would help catch the bubbles before they are returned to your main display tank.

Or are there just bubbles in your tank (on the glass and such)? If so, I'd suspect they'd dissapate soon.

Overflow-sump, bubbles get blown into the tank at the return. I tried moving the overflow outlet as far in the sump from the pump as possible. That seems to have helped some. Will get some rock and put in there tomorrow.

NOW the problem is noise... sounds like a toilet flushing all the time. Any way to make that overflow quieter?

bob

Do not know your system. but add an inch of water to the sump or lower the return in the sump so it will not suck up air.

Do not know your system. but add an inch of water to the sump or lower the return in the sump so it will not suck up air.

I moved the overflow hose to the far end of the tank from the return pump, and put some live rock in the sump between the two, and only a very few tiny bubbles now!

Thanks for the suggestions!

bob

If you're flushing, a Durso standpipe may be in order. If you have two holes drilled in a single overflow, you may consider the Herbie method. I use the Herbie method and it is incredibly quiet with zero bubbles.

Tank is not drilled - it is a hang-on overflow, with a U-tube. The overflow itself is quiet; it's that drop from the outside box (which has a little foam filter) down to the sump that is so noisy. Fortunately, this tank is in the basement family room, so it's only bothersome if I'm trying to watch a movie.

bob