New 90 up and running

Guest beatle

Guest beatle

I upgraded from my ultra low tech 37 to a drilled, medium tech 90 on New Years Day. I took some pics of the setup and put them up. I'm guessing I have about 120-130 lbs of rock. 70-80 lbs of it came from a neglected 75 with loads of green/brown algae, and my 37 was starting to get a fair amount of red slime algae. I'm not sure if I like the rock placement or not. I hear it's important to have open areas for flow, but the amount of rock in here makes it seem a bit unnatural... any ideas, or am I being too hard on it because it's just ugly rock? :blush:

Oops... pics won't be up until my web host brings my server back up online. :(

Edited by beatle

I upgraded from my ultra low tech 37 to a drilled, medium tech 90 on New Years Day. I took some pics of the setup and put them up. I'm guessing I have about 120-130 lbs of rock. 70-80 lbs of it came from a neglected 75 with loads of green/brown algae, and my 37 was starting to get a fair amount of red slime algae. I'm not sure if I like the rock placement or not. I hear it's important to have open areas for flow, but the amount of rock in here makes it seem a bit unnatural... any ideas, or am I being too hard on it because it's just ugly rock? :blush:

Oops... pics won't be up until my web host brings my server back up online. :(

The red slime that you are talking about is called Cyano..... I had the same problem and the way that I got rid of it was stronger lighting and stronger flow. (considerably more flow)

Guest beatle

I'm sure my use of tap water also contributes to it. :eek: What creatures eat it?

I'm sure my use of tap water also contributes to it. :eek: What creatures eat it?

I am red slime free now for over 4 months...thanks to ultralife red slime remover.

Guest navajo

I was fighting cyano for months! What finally got rid of it for me was a BIG refugium with lots of macro algae and decent lighting. GOOD LUCK!

1-3-07-overflow.jpg

This type of overflow really quiet as they say it is? How is it working for you?

Nice setup. :cheers:

Guest beatle

Yes, it's very quiet. I highly recommend this method of plumbing. The only sounds are the pumps for my return and skimmer as well as the slight hum from the powerheads. The sump has no bubbles either which is nice for silence and cleanliness (no salt creep or spray).

fabulous pictures of midas blenny. Got the eye and the tip of the tail in focus. Caught interesting expression and the sense of impending motion. Those are key good traits of underwater photography. You didn't just end up with a dull specimen shot. Good job on that!

fab

Guest beatle

Thanks, I wish I could take full credit for it. My girlfriend took my camera and started snapping pics on auto mode. :lol:

Guest beatle

can i get another pic of this

http://www.mdbbox.com/images/fish/90sw/drain1.jpg

but at a different angle....to include parts makup and where you got the info for your setup?....always looking for ways to quite things down

Actually, that's gone now. :) That was when I had the "stock" plumbing in place with a durso standpipe. The standpipe always let in a fair amount of air and when it hit the water, even at an angle, it would create tons of bubbles. I used a 1" to 1.5" adapter, 1.5" ell into a short section of 1.5" PVC and then a 1.5" to 3" tee. I also bought a cap for the top of the tee that I had planned on drilling a hole in to let air escape, but keep most of the splashing concealed. If I covered it completely, there was too much backpressure and even my well ventilated durso would "flush." I probably could have lived with that, but the new plumbing is way better. :)

can i get another pic of this

http://www.mdbbox.com/images/fish/90sw/drain1.jpg

but at a different angle....to include parts makup and where you got the info for your setup?....always looking for ways to quite things down

this link will give you all the details you want. (my next project)

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthre...mp;pagenumber=1

Guest beatle

Yeah, I was referred to that thread by another WAMAS member after my attempts at quieting my plumbing had gone south.

Cliffs notes for that thread:

Plumb both bulkheads as drains with one pipe higher than the other. Plumb your return over the back of the tank. Put a gate valve (ball valve will work) on the lower drain and slowly close it off until the water level rises to the second drain, then open it up just a hair. The taller drain is your backup in case the primary clogs. You may have to adjust the valve periodically, but it is largely maintenance free.