review of moonlight

Aquariareview

You guy know I review products on my site and once in a while i find a real cool toy and share it on the forum.

ledminil.jpg

Aquatic Research and Development - Spectra pro mini

IceCap's -  LED Mini Moonlight  

1 watt 455nm Blue LED

Self contained fixture with lens

Mimics nocturnal reef lighting conditions

Shimmering moonlight effect

Promotes lunar spawning cycles

Mountable with included brackets

Measures 3 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 7/8" high

This moonlight is built by Aquatic Research and Development and sold by IceCap and ARAD. Selling for around $65 I didn’t expect much.

The device was a small square pendent with a bent reflector in it and an AC adaptor type plug. It came with a mounting bracket to mount it to the hood.

I mounted it over the center of a 180 gal tank in my den. I plugged it in and stood back and waited for the halides to go off. The first thing I saw was the coral in center of the tank looked different. The halides were still on and the moonlight was causing the coral glow. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me. How could a single LED even be visible in a field of halides? Then the timer cut the MH system. WoW!!! I could not believe my eyes. I was looking at about a 28 inch wide section of the tank that was on fire with fluorescent blue light. It glowed like a dance club under a 60’s era black light. Mounted 6 inch off of the surface it was covering the center 40% of a six ft tank.

There was a world of reef life that we just miss in a tank. The night life. My sun coral opened up, pods came out, all of the peppermint shrimp I thought died a few years ago came out (I counted more shrimp than I remember having). All of the night life in the tank was out to party and it was stuff you don’t see during the day.

I have looked at a lot of moonlights and have never been blown away enough to go out and buy a system. Most look like a blue low intensity bulb and do not cause the coral to open like this little guy does.

I have made the following change to my system. Changed the timer to cause the MH system to come on earlier and shut off at 8PM instead of 9PM I run the moonlight 24/7 it adds a little fire to the bright colors during and brings out the best in the tank at night.

This is the best lighting gadget I have found. My tank loves it, my coral loves it, I love it. All of my tanks will have it soon.