H&S A200 vs. BM250

ridetheducati

:why:

I have been debating, flipping a coin, and designed an elaborate spread sheet to help me decide which skimmer to purchase. Still can not make up my mind. Both skimmers are out of stock until next week, so I have a few days to decide. Wondering if the community can help me a little.

I have a $1500 budget, plenty of space in my cabinet (40"), and I do not have a preference for external or internal models, although the A200 provides greater flexibility. The bioload will be heavy (triggers and tangs) in my 180. Based on my elaborate spread sheet, the A200 is slightly ahead, and that is mainly due to H&S proven track record and world class support. I have been following all threads on each skimmer at RC, Reefs.org, Zeo, and sgreefclub. Lack of quality control and confidence of the BM product concerns me. However, the overall performance could potentially outweigh those concerns. There is the rub.

What ever the I decide will be the last skimmer purchase, so I have to make the right decision.

Thanks for listening and I am looking forward to hearing your thoughts. :rollface:

Edited by ridetheducati

why dont you look at the 200-1260 (internal H&S model) and save yourself some cash from the A200 if you have no preference for internal or external.

I thought the ATI skimmers looked good, but after following the thead on RC, I don't think I'd buy one.

Tough call, just for the reasons you mention. The BM is new & untried, kind of "a pig in a poke". The H&S is a tried & true unit with, as you mention, superb support.

Likely I'd go with the H&S because

- I've seen a few Q/A issues with the units (i.e. 47mm wheel shipped, leaking parts)

- They are WAY over rating the units. No way the 250 is a 5-700g skimmer

- No hard performance data aside from airflow (which is superb)

- Sicci pumps are reputed to be excellent, but really who knows - they're new to US current

Tough call.............. :)

i was looking at the same comparison, but one level down.

ATI has some issues to revise on the next run of skimmers. some quality control stuff.

H&S is hard to get, they sell out very quiclkly (sometimes minutes) from what i've heard, depending on the model.

i was making this decision, and I ended up picking a deltec from BRK, which i'm going to pick up tonight, traffic permitting. :)

i think either would be good, but i'd go H&S, it's been proven.

You should swing over to Erik's and see his Deltec ap 851 in action or look at 143gadget's ap 701 before you make purchase- which seems like you have a little time on hands to decide what to buy. Ya, they cost a lot, but Deltec really has put the time and effort into their skimmers. BRK can get you one or you can either order through them or through Deltec usa then drive up to his shop/house in PA and pick up the skimmer it does not get broken in shipment and maybe save $100 in shipping [it's like 2.5 hour ride from reston each way, or less :wink: ].

Ya H&S is probably good (no experience) but Doug at deltec is really great with service if ever needed and it's 1 day shipment zone (or the drive). Or would you rather have part come from CA or out west with H&S

Good luck, just my biased .02 as a AP 702 owner. Erik has played with a lot of skimmers so he to me is club guru on skimmers :lol2:

<<< BREAKING NEWS >>>

I just purchased the H&S A250 2x1260. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I thought about the Deltec 851 and 702. The only problem I had with Deltec was pump replacement cost and warranty. The Deltec Eheim is $500 and one year warranty, while the H&S Eheim is $300 and two year warranty. Other than that, the playing field was even.

But I must say, I am really excited for landing the A250.

You should swing over to Erik's and see his Deltec ap 851 in action or look at 143gadget's ap 701 before you make purchase- which seems like you have a little time on hands to decide what to buy

:lol: Yeah, big Deltec fan here.....but....after conversations w/ Fliger, NAGA, & Moonpod over the years I'll never say anything against H&S. Good quality & good performance ('sides they use Deltec's wheel ;) )

Sounds like a good pick!

Speaking of "picks" we need some pics once it's installed :)

What ever you do, DON'T call it NOG

Not sure on this one, might require a ruling from the "Nog Table".

IIRC H&S pays royalties to Deltec for the NW design (long history of co-development). This means that in effect it's a Deltec design that is producing the skimmate....so it might be called Nog?

:lol:

Edited by ErikS

nothing like roasting the turkey (me) a little early I see [nog comment]. I can take it. Hope that wasn't your best shot. (only wish I could see your link - work pc blocked it :( )

What ya think turkey basted in Nog would taste like?

nothing like roasting the turkey (me) a little early I see [nog comment]. I can take it. Hope that wasn't your best shot. (only wish I could see your link - work pc blocked it sad.gif )

:lol: They say you are what you post.................Chip's link is a 404 :lol: ;)

Edited by ErikS

:lol: They say you are what you post.................Chip's link is a 404 :lol: ;)

Google image "nog" and scroll down a bit.

I'd like to be between the coors lights.

ALL FOUR OF THEM!

BTW,

I think that's paint, not fabric.

I see no point to your thread as you didn't even take anyone comments.

just my 2 cents.

As I started this thread I had hoped to receive comments to help facilitate my decision. Shortly after submitting the post; I received a phone call from a vendor. I can not divulge what was actually said, but I will say I can not lose on this purchase. MONEY BACK GUARANTEED SATISFACTION.

So, yes the decision was made pretty quick; and I appreciate the replies that I have received. If anything, the post has drum up some interesting dialog.