PVC Pipes

chideloh

David,

I have never been to another Lowe's so I can't really answer the question.  I can tell you that the Lowe's in Frederick has a much better plumbing department than Home Depot.  Conversly Home Depot has a much better electrical department.  What exactly are you looking for?  I am at Lowes frequently right now working on finishing my basement bathroom, I could check and see if they have what you are looking for.

Thank you, Scott, for offering.

Let me see if I can find a Lowes around me first and if I can't I will let you know.

I am looking for some 1" pipes and couple of 90 degree angle coupler and few other things.

I just want to make this project a lasting one so I want to go with the sch 80 instead of 40.

Thanks again.

David

Guest JFish
schdule 80 just decreases the inner diameter, restricting more flow...the schedule 40 will last just fine I think.

David,

The only real advantage I see to Sch 80 is that you can get the fittings and pipe threaded and the pipe is grey.  I use it for my closed loops because my tank is not drilled.  I have intakes down in the tank and the grey pipe is not as noticeable as the white PVC.  Also when I take the closed loop off for pump cleaning, etc I have a cap in the top of a tee where the intake goes down into my tank so that I can prime the pump.  If you are just doing regular plumbing for a reef setup I cant think of any application where you would really need sch 80.

Sch 80 is for high pressure which a reef tank does not have.  1" sch 40 is rated at 450psi while sch 80 is 630psi.  Stick with sch 40 as it is cheaper.  If you want grey sch 40 sticks look in the electrical section.

Sch 40 will last for eternity, and IME has many more fitting options (and easier to cut).  In applications where I have used it in tank, it covers with corraline algae very quickly.  If there are some unusual fittings you are looking look at US plastics.  You can request a catalog online and have it within a week.  Call to place the order though, as there was some weird stuff with the shipping charges online that I am not sure they resolved yet.  The catalog is far easier to find what you need than going through the web pages.  

Nothing beats a good plumbing store- unfortunately ones with tons of parts laying in bins to be searched through are hard to find.

Michael

Thanks for your help, everyone.

I just got a used chiller (6 years old) from someone in WA state and it came with BOTH in & out take broken. The sender claims it was fine when it left his place and I am stuck with it.

It is made by Aquanetics and to be honest, I am very disappointed how it is put together. It is made with sch 40 PVC pipe and they are in bad shape. Not only that, the pipes are there without any support so when the pipes are screwed in or out all the torque is forced on the pipes. I hope I am making sense. They should have made it so that the pipes are secured on the cover of the chiller so the pipes are not stressed when screwing in or out the pipes from the pump. Am I making sense?

I think that is what happened. When this guy took it apart, the PVC pipes cracked and it got broken during shipping. I hope that is what happened. I hope he didn't send it knowing they were broken.

Anyway, I am in the process of fixing it and I wanted to replace the PVC pipes with the sch 80 instead of 40.

Sorry for the long story. :)

David

Understandable- and what a pain!  any chance you can file a claim with the shipping company?  I would recommend picking up the US plastics catalog.  You can probably rig some type of collar on the pipes where they are most stressed to re-inforce them- and I would most certainly add in some true unions to avoid this problem in the future.  I have a 1/2" NTP tap for making a threaded hole if that is of any use, you are welcome to borrow it (or anyone else for that matter.  PVC is pretty easy to tap.

Michael