Trip to Mote Aquarium

Aquariareview

Hello

Doris and I are in florida waiting for warmer weather for a trip out west and we just made a trip to Mote Aquarium in Sarasota.

gallery_75_12_47677.jpg

Mote is a small aquarium connected to a major research lab in Sarasota FL

Less Flashy than Baltimore or Atlanta it is still worth the visit. Not much in the reef department but with a focus on shark research and marine education its a great visit.

gallery_75_12_4521.jpg

gallery_75_12_15615.jpg

Some real good shark tanks with some very nice small species.

There were some nice small fish displays

gallery_75_12_36418.jpg

A tank full of Florida Flounder

gallery_75_12_32670.jpg

Frog Fish... These guys were huge (as big as my head)

gallery_75_12_13900.jpg

Stone Fish

gallery_75_12_42520.jpg

Soft Coral Display

They have a large seaturtle rescue and research lab where they are breeding sea turtles

here is a rescued young turtle

gallery_75_12_31539.jpg

The real reason to go to Mote is to see the giant Manatee Display, this alone is worth the trip

gallery_75_12_5908.jpg

gallery_75_12_24167.jpg

These critters are about half the size of a car and as gracefull as anything I have ever seen.

If you are in the Tampa area,, Mote is about 1 hour south in Sarasota and is really worth the trip.

They are a very patient hunter.. They sit very still untill prey comes close...then thay hit so fast you dont see it happen. I used to keep one and he would eat every thing in the tank.

I thought I was safe putting him in a tank of larger fish... I came home and he had eaten a puffer that was bigger than he was (he was stretched over it) I thought he would die but about a week later he was perched on a rock looking for more.

I kept him in a 55 gal by himself for the next 8 years. he ate mollies, shrimp and small crabs I caught on the beach.