New Skimmer New Problems - Help Please

(edited)

I have a 12 gallon AIO nano. I recently added a MagTool Nano AIO Tank protein skimmer for all in one reef tank DC - SQ50. I have had it for one day. I have two problems: 1. It raised the water level in the display area significantly and I don’t know how to decrease this level without lowering the water level in the back chambers to the point where the pump won’t work. 2. SO MANY MICRO BUBBLES (I realize that it’s a new skimmer and it needs time to break in but it’s an excessive amount of bubbles). Any suggestions?

IMG_1196.jpeg

Edited by Hugh Gannon

I don't see an image loading, but how is it raising the display if it's in the rear chamber?  Is it kicking up debris/bubbles that is blocking the overflow teeth from the display?  Do you have it exhausting into the display for some reason?

Because it usually takes in a good bit of water, it is normal for the level to change with the skimmer off vs. on, but it shouldn't be increasing the level overall in either chamber beyond the level you setup after its installed.

For microbubbles, usually they will reduce with time, but lowering flow can help and sometimes mechanically trapping them where they're coming out (a coarse sponge or bubble trap) helps.  If it's possible, you could also try lowering (physically in the tank or the flow) your return pump to hopefully suck fewer of them in.

That skimmers design with its placement of its foam bublle trap is problematic.

My faverite hang on back has always been the old remora with its bubble trap...

always search for one on the forums.

I use fine mesh nets in my system for bubbles were needed...

they need to be rinsed every 2 weeks.

You can most likely get one some were in your system every fish store has different sizes.

small fine mesh net.jpg

large fine mesh net.jpg

lmed fine mesh bubble trap.jpg

remora with buble trap surface skim.jpg