Heaters

Last night when I turned off my tank for feeding (return pump, skimmer, power heads) I could hear a noise in the sump. Decided to check the heaters (2 BRS 125watt). Was surprised to find odd calcifications on them. 

What is this? Calcified sponge? It broke apart pretty easily, but could not completely scrub it off. 

I do have a marine pure block in the same chamber, just inches away from the heaters. 

PXL_20240406_045532295.jpg

PXL_20240406_045536837.MP.jpg

PXL_20240406_045540651.jpg

If calcium based, some vinegar (optionally cut with water) or citric/muriatic acid should be able to dissolve it off.  It is interesting that it is limited to the portion that's the heating element - are they encased in metal instead of glass?

It's worth mentioning that it is important to clean it off - buildup on the heater increases the insulation of it, meaning the heat gets more concentrated inside the heater and it runs for longer periods (though it should run the same percentage of the time), which could damage it prematurely.

1 minute ago, DaJMasta said:

If calcium based, some vinegar (optionally cut with water) or citric/muriatic acid should be able to dissolve it off.  It is interesting that it is limited to the portion that's the heating element - are they encased in metal instead of glass?

It's worth mentioning that it is important to clean it off - buildup on the heater increases the insulation of it, meaning the heat gets more concentrated inside the heater and it runs for longer periods (though it should run the same percentage of the time), which could damage it prematurely.

They do sit inside brackets in the sump, but the brackets are only like 2cm wide at most, so definitely doesn't explain why only on just the heating element. 

Just looked it up, as it has been around 5 years since I bought them. They are Titanium, no glass. 

Well I can't say I understand it, but a quick google shows some similar stuff on titanium heaters.  I wonder if there's some mechanism that makes it easier for certain things to grab onto when it's titanium and heated, since it seems to be specific to them.  While it does look vaguely spongey, it could also just be a sort of plating buildup of minerals that precipitates only in some condition the hot part gets to.

1 hour ago, DaJMasta said:

Well I can't say I understand it, but a quick google shows some similar stuff on titanium heaters.  I wonder if there's some mechanism that makes it easier for certain things to grab onto when it's titanium and heated, since it seems to be specific to them.  While it does look vaguely spongey, it could also just be a sort of plating buildup of minerals that precipitates only in some condition the hot part gets to.

I appreciate the Google search and replies. I was going to reach out to BRS about it. 

Regardless, it was a good reminder that I really need to clean out my sump. And probably replace the marine pure block. 

Home depo has 30% cleaning vinegar will take off anything.........just use it outside