Multiple clownfish question?

Hey Wamas Fam, I have a question or seeking advice. I want to have 2 pair of clownfish in my dt. I have a 6ft long 120g tank. I want to know if I can 1st successfully do it in my tank. Most of the tanks I see that have it are 250g+ 2nd I want to have 4 diff kind of percula so do I need to get 1 pair one size & the other pair a diff size. Or can I get them all the same size. 3rd should I get them at same time or diff times. I have a qt but I would preferably want to put in dt from beginning. I'm restocking my tank. Had a tang die and I think put velvet in my tank. I have a foxface and fairy wrasse that survived. They are back looking healthy and I think I'm in the clear. Been bout 6mnths since that. Did alot of water changes also. I have some cuc also. So that's my question sorry for the long 1. I'm open to any suggestions or advice. I can move rocks around and do egg crates if needed but I would rather do it without if possible. Thanks in advance. Oh last question if I do separate with egg crate and have them pair. Is it a possibility once the crate is removed will the pairs try and change?

I have 6 clowns in my 180g. Started with 1, added 3 at the same time, and the final pair. There's 3 different types of them and they all swim around together and get along great. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

I have 6 clowns in my 180g. Started with 1, added 3 at the same time, and the final pair. There's 3 different types of them and they all swim around together and get along great. 

We're they the same size when added?

It’s a good question. Guess part may depend on getting them to host in anemone(s); then hope anemone is happy and doesn’t walk. I picked up an Aqua Rock s magnetic anemone holder and put it on the end of my 215 last year. It took the sole pair perc clowns I have a day to find anemone after I moved it from center of tank (pulled off rock by repeatedly tapping at foot until it released) and put the the glass jar holder. Anemone has stayed since but female will venture to center of tank or bit farther if she wants food. Male tend to stick closer. 

Second part if I’m reading right is you want to start with 4 different kinds of percs to end with 2 pairs.  I’m no expert, but my hunch is adding 4 similar size you may end up with a pair and 2 juveniles or males. To end up with 2 pairs you might need to either pair up and separate by egg crate. Or add, watch for 2 to pair then try isolate via egg crate on one side and hope you can get other 2 to pair up.  

If you’re not planning to bread and just want multiple clowns in tank, and hope they may separate and host in anemone on each end it probably will work. Just need to be patient and wait for some to start hosting, then if needed try to separate with egg crates until others host in second anemone.

If not planning on anemone, then I’m of little help as they may swim everywhere unless they find a coral or something else to host near. 

good luck and keep us updated how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2024 at 11:12 PM, Gatortailale said:

It’s a good question. Guess part may depend on getting them to host in anemone(s); then hope anemone is happy and doesn’t walk. I picked up an Aqua Rock s magnetic anemone holder and put it on the end of my 215 last year. It took the sole pair perc clowns I have a day to find anemone after I moved it from center of tank (pulled off rock by repeatedly tapping at foot until it released) and put the the glass jar holder. Anemone has stayed since but female will venture to center of tank or bit farther if she wants food. Male tend to stick closer. 

Second part if I’m reading right is you want to start with 4 different kinds of percs to end with 2 pairs.  I’m no expert, but my hunch is adding 4 similar size you may end up with a pair and 2 juveniles or males. To end up with 2 pairs you might need to either pair up and separate by egg crate. Or add, watch for 2 to pair then try isolate via egg crate on one side and hope you can get other 2 to pair up.  

If you’re not planning to bread and just want multiple clowns in tank, and hope they may separate and host in anemone on each end it probably will work. Just need to be patient and wait for some to start hosting, then if needed try to separate with egg crates until others host in second anemone.

If not planning on anemone, then I’m of little help as they may swim everywhere unless they find a coral or something else to host near. 

good luck and keep us updated how it goes.

Thanks for info. I will keep updated as I go. As of right now I don't have any nems. I want to get but I'm dealing with a algae issue. I had a nem that had split into 3 pieces.  My buddy gave it to me. It was cool for a bit then it didn't like something. Kept moving and shrinking up. Eventually lost all 3. Was a bummer. So i want to try without nems to see if I can accomplish it. We will see.