Pump recommendations for feeding reactor

wade

What do you guys recommend for a reliable (I've burned through 2 pumps and failed to keep a constant flow on my return line so far) for your Seabones reactor?

The reactor effluent always drops to a fraction of what I set it to within days of being adjusted, so I cannot keep up with tweaking it well.  It is currently offline due to the failure of the 2nd pump I put on it (one a dc3000 with 2 feed lines and the other a mj1200).

Thanks!

the feed pump for the CA RX or what type of reactors

i used a MJ 1200 on my biopellet and CARX for years now.

i found the MJ on the CARX would often clog from debris...after i put a sponge to filter the water prior to entry it worked much better...

i now have it t'd off my returnline and just have a ballvalve downstream to ensure there is pressure feeding it.

I have a tee from my return pump, but I know many others use a powerhead like the mj1200 you mentioned. Did you check to see if the little 1/8" valve was getting clogged with detritus? Does the output still decrease over time if you leave the valve off the output side? Also, does the effluent line flow uphill for any significant distance? My output line is about 3ft and only rises about 6" to clear the 2' wall of my sump.

also, run as big of a pipe as you can right up to the reactor...for example if you can get 1/2 RO tubing and run it all the way until entry to the reactor it will have better pressure than 1/8 the whole way.

Thanks for all the input.  

The line actually drops by about 1" into the sump.  Good question on the inline valve, I have not tried removing that.  I don't see buildup in the impeller on the pump, but perhaps I should find a course filter foam for the feed line.

Cheers!

haha actually used to use one of those justin...was nice cause i cuold see when it was clogged and some you can even flush back out fairly easily.

I have learned that a pre-filter is a must. To protect the pump and removes undissolved organics from clogging the sponges in the reactors. Just my .02 

We haven't used foam pads in calcium reactors in probably 4 years- only mesh disks at the bottom.  If you have foam or sponge, you might want to get the HDPE mesh instead, which does not clog.