Help with new tank sourcing and setup

DelRayTank

Hello Wamas!

I have maintained my current tank (a Red Sea Reefer 250) for the last 3.5 years in my small basement office.  The tank, which I acquired used, is nearing the end of its useful life and will have to be replaced by the end of this year.  Instead of replacing the tank with a new Reefer 250 (which is as large as I can go in its current location), I am thinking about moving the tank to our basement family room, where I would be able to fit a 6 to 8 foot tank.  Because this new tank will be in a much more visible space in our home, I don't want to tackle this setup alone.  I would love to work with a vendor and professional that can help me source and setup the tank to make sure that everything from tank selection, plumbing, aquarium controller, etc. are done properly the first time. 

Are there any local vendors/service providers that WAMAS members have used in the past?  I would love to hear people's experiences here.

Thank you!

Though I actually haven't bought anything from them yet, I had a good experience talking to the staff over at Reef eScape in Fairfax.  The crew there really knew their stuff and didn't make me feel rushed or dumb for asking 1,000 questions even on a weekend.  I know they do installs as well.  The only other vendor I'm familiar with is Blue Ribbon Koi out in Catharpin.  From what I can tell they still have a great reputation and would be worth a call as well.

Also curious why you think your Reefer is nearing the end of its life.  Tanks really don't have a lifespan as long as they aren't damaged.  I'm also in the market for a tank and the Reefer 250 is near the top of my list.  Feel free to PM me if you don't want to clutter this thread.

2 hours ago, beatle said:

Though I actually haven't bought anything from them yet, I had a good experience talking to the staff over at Reef eScape in Fairfax.  The crew there really knew their stuff and didn't make me feel rushed or dumb for asking 1,000 questions even on a weekend.  I know they do installs as well.  The only other vendor I'm familiar with is Blue Ribbon Koi out in Catharpin.  From what I can tell they still have a great reputation and would be worth a call as well.

Also curious why you think your Reefer is nearing the end of its life.  Tanks really don't have a lifespan as long as they aren't damaged.  I'm also in the market for a tank and the Reefer 250 is near the top of my list.  Feel free to PM me if you don't want to clutter this thread.

Thanks for the response.  I will definitely look at Reef eScape.  I've been to their shop once a few years ago, where I picked up a coral beauty!

My reefer is about 8 years old now and has a few problems.  First (and most concerning), the glass has been chipped on the corner for about a year and a half and I recently noticed some hairline cracking stemming from the chip.  Second, the prior owner was an aggressive glass scraper so the silicone seals are damaged in several areas.  Lastly, the cabinet is "Swiss cheese".  The prior owner installed a lot of devices and brackets on the inside of the cabinet (both back and sides), which left a lot of holes in the cabinetry.  Some of these are beginning to swell from the years of exposure to moisture.  So, while I think the tank can last a while longer, I don't have peace of mind anytime I go out of town as I constantly worry about whether any of this will fail while I'm away.

Overall, I have loved the Reefer 250.  My only substantive complaint is the absence of a refugium in the stock sump.  I am currently thinking about what a replacement might be and had been eying one of the larger Reefer models.  However, I am now curious as to how the Waterbox tanks compare to the reefer setup.

That's a bummer about the tanks previous hard life.  Sounds like you're on the right track sourcing a new tank.

Waterbox is another frontrunner of mine.  Here's a video comparing the two from someone who has owned both, though there are some notable changes from his review if you're going with a larger setup that doesn't have some of the drawbacks he mentions.

BRK sells Waterbox and they have both 3 and 4 foot versions on display, but they don't carry Red Sea.  I believe I saw a Red Sea setup @ Reef eScape (but no Waterbox).  Waterbox maxes out at 6 ft while you can get a Red Sea that is 82" (just shy of 7 feet).  I don't think you can go wrong with either brand.  I was impressed with both of them.