Funghia in their natural state

sen5241b

On the North shore of Bali the other day (I know you have cold rain back there not trying to rub it in) swim out about 200 yards maybe --everywhere funghia plate corals. All the size of dinner plates or soup bowls. And just about all of them are pale white, the color of bone not single bit of flesh on them. Dozens in the small area that I swam. I did see one the size of a dinner plate with a bright pink color. It was beautiful. Two years ago in Raja Ampat I saw the thing same thing. A handful had a patch of flesh.

Wamas taught me when the flesh dies, babies are born on the stoney remains. I'm thinking in their natural environment they spend 99% of their life growing to full size and then stay like that for a very brief period --maybe 5% of their life. Could explain why we see a lot of things die in our tanks. No?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Looks like they would be nice red plates in our tanks. It is sad to see so much dead coral and no small fish that’s for sure. How did the fish population look on the reef?  The pics seem like not many out there. I wonder how much longer thoes acropora colonies will last. 

Looks like they would be nice red plates in our tanks. It is sad to see so much dead coral and no small fish that’s for sure. How did the fish population look on the reef?  The pics seem like not many out there. I wonder how much longer thoes acropora colonies will last. 
I saw dead funghia on healthy reefs but on sick ones too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk