AutoAqua Smart Level Security thingy

Rob A

I recently purchased one of these things to try and use it as a float switch. Turns out it doesn't work that way. The instructions are lacking so I made my own write up. They are about $59. They also make a skimmer high level safety switch and a heater/high temp safety switch.

42191844440_5c98945bd8.jpg

This device is basically a switched outlet with a “change of state” sensor that works like a circuit breaker and has an alarm, and it has to be reset each time it it's triggered, either by cycling power to it (turning it off and on) or unplugging it and plugging it back in. This device is capable of two different types of operation, either sensing a drop in water level or sensing a rise in water level. It only can do one of those at a time and will not function like a float switch, as in it won’t turn on and off repeatedly as water levels change. It is a one shot/one time switch until you cycle power to it. Once power is applied it goes through a 4 to 5 minute boot up/set up process. During that time it senses what you want it to do based on where you placed the sensor, as described below:

Option 1-Low level sensor: Place the sensor below the water level and then plug it in/apply power. The outlet will energize and beep for several seconds while flashing a blue light. It will continue to flash the blue light for 4 to 5 minutes until it is finished setting up, and then it will turn solid blue. At that point it is now monitoring. If the water level drops below the sensor's position, the outlet will “trip” (de-energize) and begin flashing a red light while also making a slow beeping sound. This will continue until you remove power from the device/unplug it. Even if the water level is restored to normal, the device will remain de-energized and in alarm until power is cycled.

Option 2- High level sensor: Place the sensor above the water level and then plug it in/apply power. The outlet will energize and beep for several seconds while flashing a blue light. It will continue to flash the blue light for 4 to 5 minutes until it is finished setting up, and then it will turn solid blue. At that point it is now monitoring. If the water level rises above the sensor's position, the outlet will “trip” (de-energize) and begin flashing a red light while also making a slow beeping sound. This will continue until you remove power from the device/unplug it. Even if the water level is restored to normal, the device will remain de-energized and in alarm until power is cycled.

Something to watch out for: If the water level changes while the sensor is in the middle of its five minute flashing/setup cycle it will affect the desired setting. This could be an issue after a power outage when water levels may shift while the device is going through its 5 minute start up cycle.

• 2 years later...

Did you ever find something that did what you were hoping this would do?  (I've been looking for something I can install in my sump to turn off the return pump if it starts to run dry.)

• 4 months later...

Hey! Sorry for the delay, I just saw your comment

So this would work to deenergize your pump if your sump was too low, but you have to manually reset it if it trips. I am actually using it on a Rollermat filter. In the event that the roll doesn't advance for some reason, and the water level rises, it will shut down my main pump. It has already happened once so it was worth it to set it up.

For automatic sump level control I'm using an older model Apex controller with float switches.

Edited by Rob A