If you match coral's PAR in your tank to where you got it from would you still need to light acclimate?

sen5241b

I am thinking yes you still need to light acclimate because although the source tank and the destination tank may have the same PAR the spectrum could be very different. In  other words both tanks have same PAR but very different levels of blue, green, UV etc. Is that possible?

Spectrums are often varied and since corals adapt to their spectrums and expel or increase pigments based on it, it may be likely that even at the same par, they are not adapted to the amount of strength in a certain color. But it probably decreases the likeliness of any problems when at the same par.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spectrums are often varied and since corals adapt to their spectrums and expel or increase pigments based on it, it may be likely that even at the same par, they are not adapted to the amount of strength in a certain color. But it probably decreases the likeliness of any problems when at the same par.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my thinking. Theoretically if the PAR and spectrum are exactly the same in the source and destination tank then no light acclimation would be necessary.

It's a good idea to acclimate every time even lights are the same. Corals are stressed from being moved so give them a bit of a break from light intensity while they settle in and get used their new tank and water parameters.